MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I’ve been looking at videos to do with the Mini Cooper s r56 and lots of people seem to say the intercooler isn’t good enough and neither are the hoses connected to it.
Could I upgrade the silicon pipes on their own to see any improvement? Would it add any stress to the engine and make it overheat, or the opposite?

Would an intercooler need several other modifications or would it help with engine cooling and be ok on its own?

Im after anything that will help the engine run smoothly and be easy to swap back when I sell it

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
inter cooler only cools the charge air has no bearings on engine temps, ie way it works is the air we breath is more dense the cooler it is that means more air molecules enter the cylinder when turbo pressure so get bigger bang or burn off. messing with inlet pipe work can alter where a engine makes torque and is better with remap that pulls it all together, standard engine and cooler is good for 230bhp at crank around 210bhp at wheels much more than that will need stronger rods and pistons and hybrid turbo more air, also running a 100k engine with more hp as risks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
inter cooler only cools the charge air has no bearings on engine temps, ie way it works is the air we breath is more dense the cooler it is that means more air molecules enter the cylinder when turbo pressure so get bigger bang or burn off. messing with inlet pipe work can alter where a engine makes torque and is better with remap that pulls it all together, standard engine and cooler is good for 230bhp at crank around 210bhp at wheels much more than that will need stronger rods and pistons and hybrid turbo more air, also running a 100k engine with more hp as risks
Yeah of course, so would changing the cabin noise maker and replacing the air filter to turbo pipe require a remap then? Thanks for replying by the way you are always there with the answers! Have you got a workshop? My mini is on 51k, got lucky with the last owner. I’ve put about 7k in 6 months on the mileage

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
Yeah of course, so would changing the cabin noise maker and replacing the air filter to turbo pipe require a remap then? Thanks for replying by the way you are always there with the answers! Have you got a workshop? My mini is on 51k, got lucky with the last owner. I’ve put about 7k in 6 months on the mileage
best leave then standard unless going all the way. i work in a garage and and have own workshop,

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
best leave then standard unless going all the way. i work in a garage and and have own workshop,
Do you reckon it can handle it or would I be better off flogging the car at 60k and putting it towards a later model or a JCW model? Where are you based? I’m Southport

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
plymouth area, the later 2.0 bmw own engine in cooper s is so much better but even that needs timing chain doing around 100k, its just how cars are being ,made everyone in the trade says same thing built to last the warranty time when new and anything else is a bonus,, most of car makers when they get caught out with loads of cars with same problems they will then put a recall based on 8 years or 100k maybe ie they will fix said cars to these times and mileages,
i know of a lot of them been mapped and they will take it ie around 200bhp on n14 engines,

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
plymouth area, the later 2.0 bmw own engine in cooper s is so much better but even that needs timing chain doing around 100k, its just how cars are being ,made everyone in the trade says same thing built to last the warranty time when new and anything else is a bonus,, most of car makers when they get caught out with loads of cars with same problems they will then put a recall based on 8 years or 100k maybe ie they will fix said cars to these times and mileages,
i know of a lot of them been mapped and they will take it ie around 200bhp on n14 engines,
Yeah that’s it, not made to last the distance. I think I’ll keep buying them at 40-50k and driving them until 60-70k before selling and starting again. Gonna hold out with the s and look at getting something later 2010 in a year or two. If I had the space I’d buy all the Mini Cooper S I could- a pain in the arse but nothing else out there like it. Shame you’re in Plymouth, maybe I’ll drop by if I’m ever in the area! Cheers Mike

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
Yeah that’s it, not made to last the distance. I think I’ll keep buying them at 40-50k and driving them until 60-70k before selling and starting again. Gonna hold out with the s and look at getting something later 2010 in a year or two. If I had the space I’d buy all the Mini Cooper S I could- a pain in the arse but nothing else out there like it. Shame you’re in Plymouth, maybe I’ll drop by if I’m ever in the area! Cheers Mike
must admit they are chocolate but so are most cars these days I work on all kinds of cars and honda is the best by far, then merc then vag then bmw in my book its a shame i was a bmw man years a go thats all i ever bought but after 2007 they went to crap made to be light at cost of reliability and built to fail early and designed in such ways that after 10 years old not worth fixing by time you add labour to parts bill, I agree there is nothing like a mini when its running right , I get to drive them just after rebuilds and totally different car then,, i got another audi 3.2 v6 in this week for timing chain and oil pump etc, at 100k its nailed the chain like they all go, think that was a 50k car when it was new lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
must admit they are chocolate but so are most cars these days I work on all kinds of cars and honda is the best by far, then merc then vag then bmw in my book its a shame i was a bmw man years a go thats all i ever bought but after 2007 they went to crap made to be light at cost of reliability and built to fail early and designed in such ways that after 10 years old not worth fixing by time you add labour to parts bill, I agree there is nothing like a mini when its running right , I get to drive them just after rebuilds and totally different car then,, i got another audi 3.2 v6 in this week for timing chain and oil pump etc, at 100k its nailed the chain like they all go, think that was a 50k car when it was new lol
Yeah long gone are the days of engines lasting 250k, I was in the bmw garage the other day seeing how much a service would be and i could smell coffee, perfume, see suits and shiny cars and hear people talking about hybrid issues- I thought “I’m in the wrong place here!“ they must laugh at my 13 year old car, all want you to be on finance for 3-5 years. I’ll keep that in mind with the Hondas and vags. Maybe there’s a market for dropping old refurbed engines in new cars?

·
Registered
145 Posts
One of the easiest improvements I made on my R56 was the Spring in the diverter valve. It was cheap. and it was a big improvement in response on throttle. After that I bought the cold side tube. Then the hot side. I went to frozen boost and built the elbow on the hot side of the intake to finish that off. This was before the hot side hard pipe that is sold these days. Yes adding that with a larger intercooler helps things along. But it looks like DOS has the Air to water intercooler that would be much better in hot environment and what not. Or you could just get the diverter plate for the intercooler you already have.
intercooler
spring
Hot side
cold side
water to air intercooler
which is the same people that make

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
Yeah long gone are the days of engines lasting 250k, I was in the bmw garage the other day seeing how much a service would be and i could smell coffee, perfume, see suits and shiny cars and hear people talking about hybrid issues- I thought “I’m in the wrong place here!“ they must laugh at my 13 year old car, all want you to be on finance for 3-5 years. I’ll keep that in mind with the Hondas and vags. Maybe there’s a market for dropping old refurbed engines in new cars?
think the whole world is at the beginning of a master reset and cars are going to be the number one item that will be forced off the roads as uk government stated no so long ago by 2030 no new petrol or diesel cars will not be sold here,, and once they get the golden number of electric cars they will hit the older cars with more tax and more tax and fuel will go up in price to force anyone from driving older cars, just glad that time span will see me out as i'm over 50 now thats if they dont raise retirement age again of course,, hmmm which the virus over spend and brexit will give them a reason to do so and well as higher taxes,,, hmmm while they have big pay rises and give millions to their friends and family in the name of PPE or any other dreamt up money maker off the working class they can find, dark hard times a head for uk being made worse by the greedy,

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
think the whole world is at the beginning of a master reset and cars are going to be the number one item that will be forced off the roads as uk government stated no so long ago by 2030 no new petrol or diesel cars will not be sold here,, and once they get the golden number of electric cars they will hit the older cars with more tax and more tax and fuel will go up in price to force anyone from driving older cars, just glad that time span will see me out as i'm over 50 now thats if they dont raise retirement age again of course,, hmmm which the virus over spend and brexit will give them a reason to do so and well as higher taxes,,, hmmm while they have big pay rises and give millions to their friends and family in the name of PPE or any other dreamt up money maker off the working class they can find, dark hard times a head for uk being made worse by the greedy,
I’m really not looking forward to that day. At the end of the day, the energy comes from somewhere- no such thing as free energy. No one will own anything in the future!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One of the easiest improvements I made on my R56 was the Spring in the diverter valve. It was cheap. and it was a big improvement in response on throttle. After that I bought the cold side tube. Then the hot side. I went to frozen boost and built the elbow on the hot side of the intake to finish that off. This was before the hot side hard pipe that is sold these days. Yes adding that with a larger intercooler helps things along. But it looks like DOS has the Air to water intercooler that would be much better in hot environment and what not. Or you could just get the diverter plate for the intercooler you already have.
intercooler
spring
Hot side
cold side
water to air intercooler
which is the same people that make
Which of these can be done without a series of other improvements/changes? I don’t want to do anything that might upset my delicate n14

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
I’m really not looking forward to that day. At the end of the day, the energy comes from somewhere- no such thing as free energy. No one will own anything in the future!
like bob dylon sings,,,, the times are a changing,,,, makes we wonder why boris said he is going to spend billions on weapons,,, hmmmm does that mean he has a plan

·
Registered
145 Posts
The tiny spring. all that takes is a torx screwdriver to undo the 3 fasteners on the diverter housing. And Ta Da! you'll feel the response right off the bat.
Don't want to be a gateway for a journey of buying parts. The spring would do that. Show enough performance gain. That it makes one wonder where the limit is. Point is it is just that. The spring. Conservatively speaking of course.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The tiny spring. all that takes is a torx screwdriver to undo the 3 fasteners on the diverter housing. And Ta Da! you'll feel the response right off the bat.
Don't want to be a gateway for a journey of buying parts. The spring would do that. Show enough performance gain. That it makes one wonder where the limit is. Point is it is just that. The spring. Conservatively speaking of course.
Yeah I have read about this and seems too good to be true, but I get the way it works- same way you make an air rifle more powerful. I’d love to get rid of the pipe from the rad (the one with the cabin noise maker) too but that seems to be one that would lead to needing to make a series of changes. I guess I’m not against the idea, just more not wanting to f**k up the engine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I swear my first mini was much louder when the dump valve went off, I wonder if they’d taped up the noise maker

1 - 17 of 17 Posts