MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My mini oil light came on and next time I turned the car on the engine light was on. I have taken it to a garage who's diagnostic said the camshaft sensor had a problem.

I have since topped it up with oil but the engine is shaking and sounds fragile when ticking over. Still drives ok but the engine light is still on?

Any suggestions how to fix cheapest? Will it be the sensor or the whole timing belt?

Red 2010 convertable cooper S

· Registered
13,595 Posts
its not a timing belt its timing chain, those engines dont do well with low oil and even worse if oil light comes on when driving them as the head gets starved first of oil pressure that also includes the timing chain etc and the camshafts are set in to head ie cast camshafts in alloy head journals.. timing chains tend to fail after 60k a lot of the time that said have seen cars with as low as 18k due to owner thinking the red oil light was a target to add oil oil,, ie he would then drive to a garage and add oil,, once oil light comes on its caused damage its to late,, prince engines need checking every 300 miles to be safe once a week also bmw say 24 months 20k i would cut that in half 10k every 12 months,, also harder they are driven the more oil they use as its low friction tech,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.