MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mini Cooper clubman D, 2009. For a while now, the engine management light has been coming on intermittently. Usually when turning or pulling away from light or a junction. Scans say glow plug fault but we've been advised to ignore that as it can be massively costly to replace them (snapping issues) and they don't really come into effect unless it's extremely cold. Other things have popped up, like filters etc. Had fuel filter replaced. Another is a pressure sensor which is apparently also costly. Someone recently told me that they had a similar problem in an older type 2 and it turned out to be a diode that was getting wet from washer water running down inside and reaching the diode which is under the drivers door in the floor. Has anyone else experience of this? Could it really be a cheap fix? Car goes into limp mode when management light comes on. Stop car, turn off engine and wait 5 mins and all ok again. Any ideas would be welcome.

· Registered
13,590 Posts
or will start with who ever told you the glow plugs dont matter should be shot with a gas powered spud gun for twenty minutes or until they have learnt their lesson not to tell people that.. so what happens is this glow pugs fail and because of this two things are forced in to play one is the car ecu will never regen the particulate filter ie dpf in the exhaust so this will over time partially first block then totally block up, this will cause fault codes for filter for egr valve for boost and even maff sensor and map sensor faults depending how blocked and what car was doing when it decided a enough is enough. the second thing is on start up and on first running car for a few miles the glow plug do in fact help with the heat to correctly help to ignite the diesel oil being spray's in each cylinder on power stroke,
also those cars are known as a wet type dpf ie have a bag of pig fat as such called additive or eolys fluid this gets sprayed in to the tank every time you fill up with diesel and must be added on those otherwise the filter gets blocked, hmm i know stupid design stupid idea for the owner fantastic for the car maker with destroyed engines at worse and believe me keep driving it like it it will kill the bearing on the turbo and eat its engine oil and rev at 10k until no engine oil left or engine bearings, NO A IF ITS A WHEN.
so you have a choice to fix it, either replace the dpf filter and refill additive and fix the glow plugs believe me they do snap off then its head off and more hurt,
or what i have done to both my cooper d clubmans and a lot of other cars like it, dpf egr glow plug delete, its true they dont really do much for starting a car ie will still start from cold at -10.
in my signature is black magic tuning ask for john say spoke to me,, also giving it more power is very good transforms them, they have a mobile van that goes all over or have recovery truck to collect if wanted them to sort it,, or its possible to post ecu to them you knock out the dpf and blank egr valve etc they just write the ecu, you would need a diagnostics run after this to delete any codes

Reactions: Martin A

· Registered
13,590 Posts
honestly totally transforms that diesel my last one was decat and dpf and egr and was knocking 160bhp the torque is really good fun ie 1st to 2nd to 3rd wheel spins in the wet and will spin up in dry with some steering lock on, bonus ball is they get to next gear change really fast so driving low revs still do mid 70mpg more on a motorway are 50mph, standard cooper s early one will not pass it until get above 80mph off the lights, thats on a full fat mpa as i call it but that does have its down falls of older engines and worn turbo.s and add power can cause failures when really pushed, i tend to replace the turbo's around 80-90k with recon unit from a good refurb company. even by just do away with the dpf and egr and cat it makes turbo spool faster earlier but best way is a good map

· Registered
13,590 Posts
also as for glow plugs for anyone interested to remove them i always do them after a good ragging or better still after a forced regen of dpf filter and engine is as hot as can get it, then use a 1/4 drive ratchet and gently prize them, i also spray them with deep soak seafoam oil and use a impact gun on slow impact can move them,, NOVER DO THEM COLD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.