MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently heard that the Mini engine is noisy during the first few minutes of warmup. Alledgedly it is to do with the timing belt or something. And furthermore it is also a recall. Can anybody add to this or verify it ?

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
No recall on this one that I am aware of.

If ANYONE thinks the MINI engine is noisy, they should come and listen to my Peugeot 205 or Abi's (my fiance) Clio, that sounds like a diesel, and it isn't!

Any Cooper owners care to comment on this?

·
Registered
113 Posts
No unusual or excessive noise on ours.

Cooper with 3000 miles on.

Dave

·
Comes and Goes
257 Posts
YOU GUYS THIS IS A REAL PROBLEM I TELL YOU

i have this same problem atm and its been happening for ages! going to av it checked out again. they already have fitted new belts so dont get fobbed of with that. feels liek something is really loose and vibrating! if they say ts when its damp tell them no cuz they say that to me! so wait till its dry. if they cant hear get someone from the streets and ask them! they are little :bad::bad::bad::bad::bad::bad::bad:s for trying to get out of fixing a real problem! IF they dont have a big manual with common problems they cant fix it, they are muppets! only jokin i know someone who works there... actually your muppets!

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
I don't think this is new.

My first 2001 MINI had a rattle on startup when cold. The dealer was going to change the tappets for new ones!!

Didn't happen though 'cause I ended up rejecting the car because of continuall faults!! :rolleyes:

If it carries on, insist your dealer checks it out. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Mine did it for awhile, then it mysteriously stopped...while it was doing it, I took it into the dealer and of course "could not replicate problem" Next morning though, fire my car up and it's accompanied by a rattle/knocking

I was pretty sure the dealer would say they couldn't replicate it because the engine had to be cold whenever it happened. I definitely wasn't going to leave my vehicle with them for more days than they'd already had it.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Mine has a slight vibration noise when I accelerate in first. It's only a brief vibration/grind noise. Only had the car for 3 weeks or so, only done 777 miles.

I'll allow up to 2000 miles before I take it in to be checked if it's still happening.

·
Man Of All Mods
490 Posts
The noise that i think you are on about is the hydraulic tappets. It must be.

One the Mini's the tappets which controll the valves are hydraulic if you did not know. When the car has been stood for a while, the oil in the engine due to gravity slowly makes its way back to the sump.

So when you start up the engine, there is not allot of oil surrounding the tappets, when the oil pump pumps the oil to the designated area, the noise will go.

I hope this helps you.

Mine does exaclty the same thing, if it is the same noise that is.

Regards

Magik ( Ben ) :D

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Your right, but mine's stood all week without being used, as I don't use for work, but it's quiet on startup at the weekends. :)

·
Comes and Goes
257 Posts
Nah i dont think this it, i used daily, all the time... me very unhappy! maybe i have an oil problem? i'm taking it in next week.

plus which im very very unhappy about and lucky so far until today! the windows keep unlocking and coming down! very annoying seen as the seats are now all wet!

what shall i do guys and girls? any ideas?

·
Man Of All Mods
490 Posts
eddie_DV52_CCZ said:
Nah i dont think this it, i used daily, all the time... me very unhappy! maybe i have an oil problem? i'm taking it in next week.

plus which im very very unhappy about and lucky so far until today! the windows keep unlocking and coming down! very annoying seen as the seats are now all wet!

what shall i do guys and girls? any ideas?
Check the oil level for a start but complain to the dealer for sure.

As for the windows going up and down and the doors unlocking, That was a recall not so long ago with the BC1 unit. This is a computer in the right side footwell behind the side trim.

What happen is that water gets in through the door seal and runs down the side post and into the BC1 this then trips out the computer and causes those symtoms. I had the same problem and i am sure allot of other people have had it aswell.

Also on the newer models there was a problem with wather getting through the outer door handle and into the window regulator. It might be one of those common falults.

Take it to your dealer and they should sort it out for you.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Magik

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2003 MCS has also made the noise described on start up from cold, it is from the hydraulic tappets, an oil change may help.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Poor oil retention can be a common cause of noisey rattles on any make and model of car. THe MINI is especially prone though due to the tappets.

R

·
Cooperama? Who's he?
688 Posts
Any Cooper owners care to comment on this?
Mine sounds OK - but for a scary example, try listening to one of the new Golf GT's with the 1.4 twincharged engine - a brand new courtesy car my brother had sounded worse than my old diesel A4 at tickover!

As suggested elsewhere, a symptom of hydraulic tappets & cold engines on most new cars - reviews I've read of a number of high performance engines (RS4, M5, etc.) have commented on the same.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts