MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife just purchased a 2014 Countryman S. I've been a mechanic my entire life, and I've never been more confused about the type of engine oil to use in this vehicle. I've read the manual and several threads here dating back to 2002.

The owner's manual says I can use:
0W40
0W30
5W40
5W30

Then it says approved oils are:
BMW High Performance 5W30
BMW Longlife-01
BMW Longlife-01 FE

Then it says: Mini recommends "Castrol"

And to add more confusion, there is a label under the hood that says:
"We recommend Mini Synthetic Oil 5-W30" (see attached pic).

I've read in this community forum that Castrol Edge 5W30 is the brand to use, however it must have some kind of BMW certification?

Someone please talk me off the ledge.

I see two types of Castrol Edge available, one is labeled a "Euro" type. (See attached pics)

Can I use either?

Thank you in advance.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Tire Automotive tire Automotive care Wheel Automotive wheel system

Tire Automotive tire Automotive care Liquid Fluid
Font Screenshot Electronic device Software Multimedia

Attachments

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
I use 5/40w fully syn basically same as vw pd oil high sheer , found it to be better stable with the temps and as they wear ,, viscosity is more about emissions when engine was new than protection that came from a castrol oil rep I was talking to,

·
Registered
Mini Cooper S 2011 (R56 N18). Mini One 2012 (R56 N16).
413 Posts
I use 5/40w fully syn basically same as vw pd oil high sheer , found it to be better stable with the temps and as they wear ,, viscosity is more about emissions when engine was new than protection that came from a castrol oil rep I was talking to,
5W40 it is from now on then. 👍

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
Do I need to raise the car completely so car is level, for a driveway change? or can I just lift the front end?
more towards the rear than the front as such, the sump bungs on these engines are recessed and always leave 20mm of old oil in the sump dumbass design so never totally remove all the dirty oil on oil changes, on level from passenger side to driver side ,

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
Reactions: Colonel Bogey

·
Registered
Mini Cooper S 2011 (R56 N18). Mini One 2012 (R56 N16).
413 Posts
I see two types of Castrol Edge available, one is labeled a "Euro" type. (See attached pics)

Can I use either?
To get back to your original question (sorry for thread hijack) I think you would be ok with either.
Although as Mike has said, its probably better for the engine to use 5W40.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts