MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just bought an 04 Cooper S. Superb Car, But....

When i accelerate (quite hard) there is a slight rattle which sounds like its coming front the drivers side at the front. It doesnt sound like a big issue but was wondering if its something i should get checked or is this the supercharger?

Cheers
Craig

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have this on my cooper s - from what ive found out through various forum is its the crank pulley/harmonic damper. Apparently its nothing major to worry about but does become annoying once youve noticed it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have this on my cooper s - from what ive found out through various forum is its the crank pulley/harmonic damper. Apparently its nothing major to worry about but does become annoying once youve noticed it.
Cheers - Im very irritable and it is indeed very annoying! I'll just have to drive sensibly from now on!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just to say I'm having this exact same problem and the noise really is starting to irritate me now. I've contacted MINI to get an idea on what to expect to get this replaced.

However, I have been looking at the Alta 2% lightened and enlarged crank Lohen.co.uk - Track & Fast Road Performance for your New Mini - Online Shop

Where abouts is the crank located in the engine bay? Can it be a DIY job? Also, in order to eliminate or reduce the noise can the crank just be tightened?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is this sound you are experiencing a tapping/clicking sound consistant with engine speed? If so then I've got this sound aswell. Only noticed it with the drivers window wound down and when accelerating around 3500rpm in 1st and 2nd gear....tick over its fine.

·
Registered
246 Posts
By the way you describe the sound it sounds the same as what I'm experiencing, the sound is only noticeable when the window is down and when the car is under acceleration.

I'll keep you posted on what MINI says. Slightly disappointed they couldnt diagnose the problem when they had it for two days this week:eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same from my dealers when it was in for its oil service. Basically they couldn't hear anything...to be honest I don't even think they took it out for a spin. Let us know how you get on...cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
engine rattle !!!!!

At last !!!!! i think i have found some people with the same problem this is what i have been trying to describe in a previous forum thread last week.
As you say you can only hear the engine rattle above say about 2500rpm with the window down whilst acclerating.
All sorts of worries were going through my head i thought it was a clutch problem or gearbox but all this seems to work fine !!.
I have a cooper s JCW, awesome car !!!, this car was bought only 2 weeks ago from a mini dealer with a cherished warranty so do you think they would sort this problem out under warranty ???,as i have the car booked in for some warranty work already, anyway thanks for somebody writing a reply to this problem as it is so annoying when the window is down :hmph:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Spoony, just reading this and the long thread on this subject. I seem to have the same issue, when i spoke to mini dealers they just said bring it in (and we'll charge you for not finding it). He said they had rarely changed the crankshaft pulley/ vibration damper on any minis.
So I was wondering how you got on getting it fixed, and how much it cost.

malc

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mine does it to same noises same place if you open the bonnet and rev it like 2-3 k its realy noticable and its make she noise a bit more when yu let of the pedal and let the revs settle. But the noise gets louder and goes with engine revs but after about 4 you cant hear it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there, This sounds similar to a new engine noise on my car - Slight rattle at lower revs, minor enough to make you doubt yourself?

Does anyone know if it would be covered on cherised warranty?

Thanks

Pete

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello people can anybody tell why my mini Cooper s r53 has a load rattle sound coming from the engine,I have changer the crankshaft pulley and supercharger pulley and they are ok,but for some reason people think it might be the chain tensioner or something of the sort.thankyou

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 13 of 13 Posts