MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone get to the bottom of the engine rattle on startup from cold? Is it the hydraulic tappet adjusters starving from oil when the engine is left overnight?
Mine did it again today.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Talk about coincidence!! I have just this minute returned from my local paper shop in my MINI to see another MINI parked there the same spec as mine! (Bugger. I thought I was the only one around here!!)The owner saw me outside and after the usual "what do you think?" he said,
"Just one thing. Does your engine rattle like hell from cold?"
:confused:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine's been doing it to.

Not nice to have a sporty little car that sounds like an oil burner when started.

Jon

P.S. Saw 3 the same spec as mine on Sat - bugger!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Have any of you done an oil change yet? The rattle may be due to the oil filter. Most filters have a drain-back valve to prevent oil from leaking out so when the car is started, the oil pressure comes up quickly. If the filter either does not have the valving (some cheap ones don't, some are smaller with less oil capacity and who knows what they use at the factory) or the valve is stuck open, it can cause rattle on startup. Be sure to insist on a top quality filter when the oil change is done and see if the rattle goes away.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mr bill, my dealer is looking at it tomorrow and I think that's what he is doing to fix it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Rattle

Mine rattles too.
I'm calling the dealer tomorrow.

Hope it's just oil & filter change.
Problem with the MINI is, I'm led to beleive it's not your normal spin on filter, it's a special MINI cartrige filter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rattles

My 1St Mini rattled on start up first thing in the morning & judging from the sound mine made I would say it was 2-3 hydraulic tappets draining down overnight- I wish that was the only problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts