MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have been hearing a rattle only when at idle, as soon as some revs are put on it goes away. If I very carefully and slowly lift foot off accelerator too it goes away at idle some of the time. I only hear it when revs are under 1000 roughly any higher and it is gone. It seems to only appear after 5 mins of driving too. Sound can only be heard with window down/outside the car, cannot hear it inside with windows up.

I thought it may have been low oil so done an oil change even though I had just done one 2 months ago. I am really unsure what it could be and what to test and look for first.

What would you look for first and what checks/tests would you do?

There are no warning lights on dashboard, I did a scan and no errors too.

I just bought a mechanics stethoscope but unsure where to test it on first.

I cannot afford to take it into a garage for a check due to my current circumstances so it has to be fixed by myself.

Thank you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I am worried about I really dont know at this point, I am thinking to take off the serpentine belt and see if the noise is still present if I cannot find anything with the stethoscope fingers crossed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2007 cooper S. I’ve just replaced my timing chain, had to change the cam gears and solenoid as well. I had a new clutch installed at the same time. Think my mechanic is over my car as it gave him lots of issues

·
Registered
96 Posts
Shoot I have an entire only used to testing conditions(not even a mile). Timing chain set with multiple cam bolts(for the adventurous only(use cam bolts)). But it's for the N14.
What you can do is buy a upper guide rail(that's like 40 dollars US); that's what I would do with what I know now. Thing is with the upper guide rail to make sure it is fastened down good. It has two bolts. My outside bolt had to be tapped out for a larger bolt. BUT when I tightened it down it bottom out and I could snug from there assuring me that guide rail is tight by that bolt. The other bolt I just bottom out really.
Trying to torque those bolts was where I stripped my back on. TAKE IT EASY IF YOU DO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts