MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I’m new here - don’t seem to be able to post in the new members section but I have an important question to ask... 3 months ago I bought a 2018 JCW with 2500 miles in it from main dealer - everything been hunky dory, awesome little car! Until last week when the engine started revving on its own - approaching a junction in first gear, brake and clutch depressed waiting to pull out and I become aware or the engine revs increasing... I pull on handbrake and put into neutral and lift feet clear of pedals, then try lifting the throttle pedal with my foot, nothing, press throttle a couple of times, nothing, stomp throttle to floor, nothing, just keeps increasing in revs steadily, put it into gear and lift clutch to biting point, nothing, back into neutral... by now the revs are approaching 5000 rpm so I hit the stop start switch and it cuts out, start it again and all seems fine but really don’t want to drive it so phone dealers who say it’ll be 2 weeks til they can get it in but if I don’t want to wait I can get it recovered - get it recovered and get the ‘no fault code = no fault’ response... I refuse to accept the car back with that kind of issue so a case is raised with BMW Mini and they’ve never heard of such a thing... I then find out that 1 of the salesmen had a similar issue with 1 of their demo cars - a different model - seems strange that an issue like this would occur in 2 different models at the same dealers within weeks... so my question is has anybody experienced anything like this or heard of anything similar and was it reports to the dealers/BMW mini??

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
toyota had something same and had a recall on it, would guess it would be a throttle pedal fault or throttle body fault. or a software fart. one of those faults unless it happens when mechanic sees it doing it and even then would need to be plugged in to work it or should say a chance of working it out,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s interesting/worrying that a car can have such a potentially dangerous occurrence and leave no tell tale markers in the software that controls it and us drivers are at the mercy of dealers who haven’t got a clue what they’re dealing with... bit **** really...!?

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
It’s interesting/worrying that a car can have such a potentially dangerous occurrence and leave no tell tale markers in the software that controls it and us drivers are at the mercy of dealers who haven’t got a clue what they’re dealing with... bit **** really...!?
below link covers toyota, worth a read
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a371/inside-the-toyota-stuck-throttle-8073/

the real worry is how long it took for toyota to be forced to admit to the problem in first place,, the throttle controller is a wire and arm that as it passes over the windings it changes the resistance that alters the voltage to tell ecu to go faster or not most work like this and can and do fail as get a lot of abuse from right foot all the time in use, but still should be fit for purpose, the issue with owning a european car in the usa is EOBD software if by law in EU set to be one way so all cars here must have same electronics to be able to read codes openly. i ahve run in to this issue the other way around with jeeps and un supported diagnostics a real pain and expensive to get one that will,,
autocom and wurth snooper search on ebay they are sold fairly cheap and do most things with EU cars.
your throttle issues need to be sort asap as i would say if drive car knowing it could do that and you had a accident could leave you open for a non payout or a court visit at worst, point this out to where you bought the car its their responsibility to ensure your car is safe for the whole warranty time smell and must be fit for purpose.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
if your car was a diesel i would of said check the turbo as very common on diesels when the seal fails first for engine to run on its own engine oil and start reving,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello - I’m new here - don’t seem to be able to post in the new members section but I have an important question to ask... 3 months ago I bought a 2018 JCW with 2500 miles in it from main dealer - everything been hunky dory, awesome little car! Until last week when the engine started revving on its own - approaching a junction in first gear, brake and clutch depressed waiting to pull out and I become aware or the engine revs increasing... I pull on handbrake and put into neutral and lift feet clear of pedals, then try lifting the throttle pedal with my foot, nothing, press throttle a couple of times, nothing, stomp throttle to floor, nothing, just keeps increasing in revs steadily, put it into gear and lift clutch to biting point, nothing, back into neutral... by now the revs are approaching 5000 rpm so I hit the stop start switch and it cuts out, start it again and all seems fine but really don’t want to drive it so phone dealers who say it’ll be 2 weeks til they can get it in but if I don’t want to wait I can get it recovered - get it recovered and get the ‘no fault code = no fault’ response... I refuse to accept the car back with that kind of issue so a case is raised with BMW Mini and they’ve never heard of such a thing... I then find out that 1 of the salesmen had a similar issue with 1 of their demo cars - a different model - seems strange that an issue like this would occur in 2 different models at the same dealers within weeks... so my question is has anybody experienced anything like this or heard of anything similar and was it reports to the dealers/BMW mini??
just had this happen to our 2017 jcw it’s an auto and was in stationary in D when it occurred revved on its own and shot across a car park into another car while my partner was driving, did the software update cure the problem? My worry now is mini not admitting there is a fault and admitting liability for the accident

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
good luck getting bmw to admit to any fault with anything, bbc watchdog tried on the never ending story of n47 diesels and timing chains etc,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just had this happen to our 2017 jcw it’s an auto and was in stationary in D when it occurred revved on its own and shot across a car park into another car while my partner was driving, did the software update cure the problem? My worry now is mini not admitting there is a fault and admitting liability for the accident
Aw that’s not good, hope the damage wasn’t too bad!? It’s certainly not happened since I had the software update... If BMW/Mini refute the issue get them to get in touch with Eastern BMW in Edinburgh as 1 of their salesmen experienced it in 1 of their sales cars around the same time mine happened - I got them to confirm that it was definitely a different vehicle as I was concerned it was mine he was talking about and therefore they knew about it but apparently defo a different car, so that’s now 3 that we can defo say have all had the same issue! Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Aw that’s not good, hope the damage wasn’t too bad!? It’s certainly not happened since I had the software update... If BMW/Mini refute the issue get them to get in touch with Eastern BMW in Edinburgh as 1 of their salesmen experienced it in 1 of their sales cars around the same time mine happened - I got them to confirm that it was definitely a different vehicle as I was concerned it was mine he was talking about and therefore they knew about it but apparently defo a different car, so that’s now 3 that we can defo say have all had the same issue! Good luck!
I’ve not seen the damage it went straight to body shop (I’d rather not see it either lol) Thanks for the info, it’s not been to mini yet contemplating taking it to an independent to see if any fault codes appeared at the time of the incident

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, can’t believe I didn’t ask if ur partner was ok, apologies 🤦🏻‍♂️ Guess being a car forum I went straight to that!? There were no fault codes in mine but I just refused to accept it back until they could prove to me what had caused it and it’s been rectified - they wanted to do an extended road test of 100 miles with computer attached but did less than 20 as something became evident apparently, they then had a back and forth with BMW who essentially sent thru the latest update as soon as it was available and like I say it’s been fine since...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey, can’t believe I didn’t ask if ur partner was ok, apologies 🤦🏻‍♂️ Guess being a car forum I went straight to that!? There were no fault codes in mine but I just refused to accept it back until they could prove to me what had caused it and it’s been rectified - they wanted to do an extended road test of 100 miles with computer attached but did less than 20 as something became evident apparently, they then had a back and forth with BMW who essentially sent thru the latest update as soon as it was available and like I say it’s been fine since...
Oh she’s fine thanks, nobody injured. They will have to come up with something to explain it, going to make us very nervous about driving it from now on. Maybe I should take it to same dealership as you now they’re experts on the problem, ours won’t look at ours until mid Oct but we shall see about that once the body repair shop are finished with it. A fault that caused a crash and they won’t look at it for a month is ridiculous

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad she’s ok 👍
Ur car is still under manufacturer warranty? I would ask if a field tech could go to the body shop to read the codes and get the ball rolling... also u have to refuse to take it back until it’s resolved to ur satisfaction - bearing in mind someone could have been killed it’s in everybody’s interest for ur car not to be on the road again until it’s resolved - the manufacture and anyone working on their behalf have a duty of car to u and other road users and pedestrians and that is a legal requirement so if u think they are failing in their duty u have to right to report them to Health and Safety Exec - get the names of everyone involved in the decision making process and let them know that should any decisions be made that ur not in agreement with u will report them personally to the HSE 👍 best of luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad she’s ok 👍
Ur car is still under manufacturer warranty? I would ask if a field tech could go to the body shop to read the codes and get the ball rolling... also u have to refuse to take it back until it’s resolved to ur satisfaction - bearing in mind someone could have been killed it’s in everybody’s interest for ur car not to be on the road again until it’s resolved - the manufacture and anyone working on their behalf have a duty of car to u and other road users and pedestrians and that is a legal requirement so if u think they are failing in their duty u have to right to report them to Health and Safety Exec - get the names of everyone involved in the decision making process and let them know that should any decisions be made that ur not in agreement with u will report them personally to the HSE 👍 best of luck!
Yes still under warranty, a month until they look at it is no good I will see about that once it’s out of the body shop. Mini assist have always been really helpful with us more so than the dealership they hired us a car after the crash and recovered ours even though it was drivable. Thanks for the advice it’s appreciated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts