MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just bought a 2009 JCW from Craigslist, and I was sitting in the car during the test drive at idle and noticed vibration coming through the steering column and the seat. I ask the owner about it and she (2nd owner) had no idea. I thought, maybe it needs new plugs or something simple like that. Anyway, I bought it and I hope with y'all's expertise here that it will be a straightforward solution (as straightforward as MINIs get anyhow!). I wanted to get your opinion before I started throwing parts at it. There's oil around the valve cover, so I have new gaskets to install when I get back from SoCal on Friday.

It vibrates at idle all the time (cold or hot), and from cold start, RPM fluctuates 200-300.

What should I check for next? If vacuum leaks, where exactly?

Background: Timing chain full service was done Dec 2017, turbo replaced and walnut blasted last year as well. HPFP not yet done. Also don't know if this could cause a vacuum leak, but the AMS to turbo intake hose has a crack (more like a melted tear) on the turbo side under the hose clamp. It's over the lip on the turbo side, so should be fine?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Hi guys,

Just bought a 2009 JCW from Craigslist, and I was sitting in the car during the test drive at idle and noticed vibration coming through the steering column and the seat. I ask the owner about it and she (2nd owner) had no idea. I thought, maybe it needs new plugs or something simple like that. Anyway, I bought it and I hope with y'all's expertise here that it will be a straightforward solution (as straightforward as MINIs get anyhow!). I wanted to get your opinion before I started throwing parts at it. There's oil around the valve cover, so I have new gaskets to install when I get back from SoCal on Friday.

It vibrates at idle all the time (cold or hot), and from cold start, RPM fluctuates 200-300.

What should I check for next? If vacuum leaks, where exactly?

Background: Timing chain full service was done Dec 2017, turbo replaced and walnut blasted last year as well. HPFP not yet done. Also don't know if this could cause a vacuum leak, but the AMS to turbo intake hose has a crack (more like a melted tear) on the turbo side under the hose clamp. It's over the lip on the turbo side, so should be fine?

Thanks in advance!
without a diagnostic scan its all guess work, common is any air leaks on the breather circuit will causes problems idle up and down, also another common problem is the divert er valve on the side of turbo the spring goes soft or snaps and the turbo wont keep its pressure stable, below link. 60-100k always weak
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-R55-R56-R57-R58-R59-Cooper-S-JCW-Turbo-Bypass-Dump-Valve-Diverter-Solenoid/232536896285?fits=Car+Make:Mini|Cars+Type:Cooper+S&hash=item362447731d:g:XTkAAOSwCMFZ8LWB

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
mike1967
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing