MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do JCW cars experience the same high engine temps that other upgrades experience e.g. AmD or Hartge upgrades? Having come across a few threads highlighting the fact that upgrades other than a JCW run hotter engine temps (during spirited drives or tracking), would this be because the JCW replace the OEM head? I know a few guys running custom oil coolers for their Hartge upgrade because they track their car.

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Amigo said:
Do JCW cars experience the same high engine temps that other upgrades experience e.g. AmD or Hartge upgrades? Having come across a few threads highlighting the fact that upgrades other than a JCW run hotter engine temps (during spirited drives or tracking), would this be because the JCW replace the OEM head? I know a few guys running custom oil coolers for their Hartge upgrade because they track their car.
Hi Amigo,

I have done track days where thare have been myself and Trelo running Hartge set-ups, and Boo with JCW. We all have the OEM oil temp guage, and are running similar equipment and lapping in similar times.

The JCW kit does not run anywhere near as hot as the Hartge.

In fact, now I have the oil cooler fitted, my car runs similar temps to Boo's without oil cooler, ie maxes out at around 125C.

I have also done track days with GreenDevil, who has amd, but unfortunately he doesn't have an oil temp guage.

I dont know the reason for the difference. Both cars have similar fuel consumption on the track, and run similar water temps.

However, these temp problems are only under extreme track use. There is never a problem with spirited road driving. Whenever I post on this subject, somone allways replies saying they have Hartge etc and don't have problems. I would emphase that this is EXTREME driving conditions, and it would not be possible to drive that hard on the road. On the track fuel consumption averages 30l/100km+ over a 20-30km section without a break, which gives an idea how hard it is running.

Cheers

Robbo

·
Registered
76 Posts
Could be that hartge and the others are running a bit leaner (actually giving better performance with lower consumption), whereas JCW and stock are pretty much on the rich side to avoid heat problems.

·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
robbo mcs said:
Hi Amigo,

I have done track days where thare have been myself and Trelo running Hartge set-ups, and Boo with JCW. We all have the OEM oil temp guage, and are running similar equipment and lapping in similar times.

The JCW kit does not run anywhere near as hot as the Hartge.

In fact, now I have the oil cooler fitted, my car runs similar temps to Boo's without oil cooler, ie maxes out at around 125C.

I have also done track days with GreenDevil, who has amd, but unfortunately he doesn't have an oil temp guage.

I dont know the reason for the difference. Both cars have similar fuel consumption on the track, and run similar water temps.

However, these temp problems are only under extreme track use. There is never a problem with spirited road driving. Whenever I post on this subject, somone allways replies saying they have Hartge etc and don't have problems. I would emphase that this is EXTREME driving conditions, and it would not be possible to drive that hard on the road. On the track fuel consumption averages 30l/100km+ over a 20-30km section without a break, which gives an idea how hard it is running.

Cheers

Robbo
Hi Robbo,

Thanks for the info. I remember your original post in 2003 re: very hot engines and my curiosity got the better of me, hence this post. I just wonder, whether it might be due to the JCW's replaced head or because other upgrades (including the Hartge) are of a higher tune :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts