MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mini Cooper with 112,000km on it, about 12 track days doing time trials and 12 autocross.

Returned home from the track recently and parked the car only to hear this ticking thats sounds like a loose tappet. However, it ONLY occurs when the clutch is depressed; its stops when I let off the clutch. Frequency also increases with revs and when driving in first and second (too windy above that). Same thing, ticking only when the clutch is depressed.

Dealer thought it may the clutch throwout bearing, but its still there after that was done. Dealer took the oil pan off and says I have a loose rod at the piston pin (how loose?), though I'm not convinced thats the cause.

Since it only occurs when the clutch is depressed it wouldn't be the transmission. So only thing left I can think of is something in the bottom end like the thrust washer that only gets loaded when the clutch is depressed. Since the Mini bottom end is supposed to be bullet proof, I'm struggling this being the cause as well.

Any thoughts or experiences out there in Mini-land that mind shed some light on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
had same probelm on my MCS JCW 6 months ago, had reconditioned gearbox fitted under warranty. Never said what actual fault was but def transmission, perhaps layshaft?? Dealer said wasn't flywheel and didn;t replace but noise went so again def transmission for me.

Hope that helps

Mor7s

·
Tustom User Citle
10 Posts
I don't have any experience with Minis yet, but I think you were on the right track by replacing the TO bearing.

I wouldn't see how the flywheel would "tick", but I can't think of anything else that's freely moving when the clutch is not engaged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have any experience with Minis yet, but I think you were on the right track by replacing the TO bearing.
... noise went so again def transmission for me. Mor7s
Thanks for the suggestions. The dealers first kick at the can was the clutch and TO bearing; no change so not the clutch.

Noise remains if the transmission is in gear with the clutch depressed, so with no turning parts in the tranny in this test, can't be that either.

The dealer also took off the big end caps on cyl #3 and #4 and claims the rod at the pin in #3 is loose, but that doesn't explain why the clicking only when the clutch is depressed.

Unfortunately, when I poked around with an auto stethoscope, the noise is definitely in the lower part of the block, and has a sharp tick or knock, so somehow the loose pin in #3 may be the culprit even though it only happens when the clutch is depressed.

I'm going to continue to drive it and see what happens, but its looking more like a motor replacement may be needed.

·
Tustom User Citle
10 Posts
As you already stated, it'd be difficult to place the blame on the block if the noise is only audible when the clutch is depressed.

Maybe for some crazy reason, the tick goes away when the engine is under load? You sure it's from the bottom end? Could it perhaps be out-of-spec valves?

Sorry, and good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts