MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

New to the forum. Have a problem which despite loads of research I'm not quite sure of next action.

Have a 62 plate Countryman Cooper S, 52k miles. On Saturday, doing about 75mph on dual carriageway and I felt the car hesitate under moderate acceleration... not a misfire, no smoke or theatrics, just a lag in the power.

Then the yellow engine light comes on and we're in limp mode.

Got home, turned engine off, restarted, car went OK despite engine light still on.

Left the car for a few days drove it today, hardish down the local motorway and happened again.

Car does a lot of short journeys.

Battery fine (checked)

Any ideas of course to take ? Likely a plug in and diagnosis ?
What could it be ?

Cheers all

Julian

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sound like what he had on are mini . It was the oil cap loss and air getting in . It drive fine at low revs but as soon as we got speed up on the motorway it started .

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
need to scan the system with a diagnostics best value for money is autocom cdp plus link below for a idea of, or take it to garage and have it scanned as you need to know whats going on with it, it might be a vac leake of pcv system ie the oil cap is part of that, but there so many things on that car that can cause it and if dont find and fix it could end up with damage,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-Bluetooth-TCS-CDP-Pro-Plus-for-autocom-OBD2-Diagnostic-Tool-8PCS-Car-Cable/352666089520?hash=item521c897830:g:ItoAAOSwq55c0VnY

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes mine was the oil filler cap on top of the engine . It was on but not done up but it took the dealer all day and lots of fault codes showing . They wanted to blame me for it but shut up when I said you had it in for a service the week before and I haven’t open the bonnet. It could be a air leak on a hose so have good look about .

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Yes mine was the oil filler cap on top of the engine . It was on but not done up but it took the dealer all day and lots of fault codes showing . They wanted to blame me for it but shut up when I said you had it in for a service the week before and I haven’t open the bonnet. It could be a air leak on a hose so have good look about .
the joys of a pcv emissions designed engines where the crankcase is all part of the inlet manifold i've seen people not replace the rocker cover rubbers gaskets and 0-ring gaskets for spark plugs and have a leak that made car run weak and all kinds of plausibility fault codes for 02 sensors and maff etc, and they replaced a load of stuff that was working and telling them it was working just not reading within the designed parameters,, the first time a ran in to the above fault it got me running around in circles,, until i decided not to be so stupid and start with a process that works, ie smoke test the system find any leaks before anything else, take 15 minutes if that, not take anything for granted treat it all with same amount of contempt,, as all the new tech cars are getting harder to fix even when you know what your doing sometimes something comes along and makes a arse of you lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
mike1967
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing