MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my 2006 Mini Cooper S home two nights ago, and it was working completely fine. The next morning, I go in it to drive off and the ignition isn't catching, as it is firing but not starting the car. I keep trying for several minutes to no avail. I call my local Mini dealer who seems to think that it is a flooded engine (flooded with fuel) that needs to clear out the fuel in order to start. They recommend starting the car repeatedly with the gas pedal down, with the car jumped to another car with a strong alternator, so the engine won't die.

I called my BMW friend who recommended me to remove the fuel pump fuse (F20 in the driver side compartment) and then start it, but when I did that, the ignition is clicking as if its a dead battery (perhaps there is a fail safe for starting the car without the fuse). Any advice or do I need to tow my car to my dealership (ugh)

Thanks,

Hurst

·
Registered
40 Posts
thewalshter

Lots of modern cars flood with petrol the worst offenders Jags,BMW and Mazda RX8. The main cause is starting from cold and switching of engine before warm e.g moving car out of the garage then when you restart hours later or next day engine can flood. Also can happen if you press the throttle when cranking from cold, just crank do not touch throttle let ecu do its own start up.Some will say they do the above and never flooded, but that 1 in 50 time it will catch you out.

·
Cleaning Whore
356 Posts
this is a new car, its not on carbs it wont flood if you start and you put your foot down lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
thewalshter

Speaking from experience modern cars do flood with fuel injection attend at least 1 every day not the sort of thing you come across in a workshop. WOT starting will only work with latest engine management that shuts the fuel pump of. If the the vehicle as bore wash then more complex to start.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Be careful constant cranking without ignition allows fuel through the cylinder head and into the cat - This will permanently damage the cat and prove to be an expensive thing to do -
I suggest you check your ignition system or better yet get a diagnostic check done before you cause further problems
A

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem in Colorado, pulled the fuse to the fuel pump and it cranked right up, of course it then died of fuel starvation. Actually had to crank the engine up without the fuse and then put it back in before it died to get it to keep running. This was the easiest way to do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts