MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Yesterday I turned the key in my 2005 Mini cooper S and the lights came on but there was nothing from the engine.
The AA came out and said he thought he thought it could be the starter motor, immobilizer or the key fob but the starter motor was under the drive shaft and it would be a labout intensive job.
He jump started me and I drove to my local BMW service shop and I have received a message from the engineer saying to detrmine the fault will be hours of work.
Can any tell me what the problem may be or how much it might cost me as I am worried at these comments.

Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
Next time it does it, turn ignition competely off. Put it in gear and step out of the car and rock it gently forward and backward. Take it out of gear and try to start it. Mine does this every 4 months or so.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i'm no mechanic, but if the AA man managed to jump start it, i'd say it's the starter. rabbit's fix does tend to work unless the starter is completely knackered. I had a 1973 beetle that used to do this and the rocking backwards and forwards trick worked until the motor finally gave up the ghost

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been having this same problem on and off for the past few months. I have an 02 MINIOne and sometimes when I turn the key all the ignition lights come on, but the car won't start. It won't even make a noise. It usually starts if I leave it for about 15 mins. The last time this happened a week ago it didn't start for two days. The garage did a diagnostic, but the don't know what the problem is. Were you able to find out if it was your starting motor?

·
Registered
199 Posts
i've just thought of another possible and quite likely cause... My sister has a mini one and hers did exactly the same thing a while ago. It's an intermittent fault and it turned out to be the ignition at fault, after getting an auto electrician on the case.

Apparently, the contacts in there can wear down over time to the point that they don't quite make a good contact. Turning the key on/off/on can sometimes make enough of a contact to get things going.

The proper fix for this was a replacement ignition switch (expensive i would have thought). Instead, the elctrician used some solder to build the contacts back up. Never been a problem since..

Let us now how you get on with it :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Arrrgh! mine went to be resprayed to get rid of a scratch! they rang me and said it wont start! i have never had any trouble starting it i know its old as its 02 plate but its lowish mileage! I doesnt do anything when you put the key in but the keyfob will open and lock it! fingers crossed it was some thingthe sprayers did! going to try the rocking it in gear thing and see just to get it to the garage! urrrggh annoyance! iit looks mint tho! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi i need advice for my 2006 mini cooper the key wont turn on the engine and everything else works with it. how can i reprogram it to start the engine ? even the valet key wont turn the engine on please help asap

1 - 7 of 7 Posts