MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see it here all the time and recently had an encounter where I was set straight that the person I was talking to was "British" and not "English". I got the impression being English was less than appealing to this person. Bit of a snob anyway.

So, please clear this up for me.

·
50 PMs no sig group
22,285 Posts
If you call a Scot, Welshman or Irishman English then you will probably get punched. If you call an Englishman one of the other nationalities then it's not normally such a problem (in my experience). All are British except those from the Republic of Ireland (Eire).

·
total MINI . com
34,893 Posts
I'm English - English is of England. Sometimes you find some of the ethnic groups preferring to be British rather than English. A passport and citizenship is British rather than English. English implies more of an ethnicity to England whereas British is a more generic label. A snob may well prefer to say British as that is their true citizenship.

Does that make any sense - I know what I'm trying to say :D

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I think Soggy has hit the nail on the head with that explanation :)

Just unfortunate that most of the time, Englishmen cannot express themselves as English and only British (on application forms and the like) :mad:

Well done Soggy, I think that explains it almost perfectly - Does to an Englishman ( and a proud one at that) anyway :D

·
RedUn's Manicurist ;-þ
16,095 Posts
they're all goobers :D :p

so...really? Even a Scot would be English? If so that would explain why Shepard shows up as English on the census records in my genealogy search... :eek: :p

·
Girl Next Door...
1,191 Posts
MoonPie said:
Even a Scot would be English?
You can be either Scottish, English, Welsh or (Northern) Irish and call yourself British.

Calling a Scot English is not good :( ;) :p

Like calling a Englishman Welsh :eek: :D

·
RedUn's Manicurist ;-þ
16,095 Posts
Grings said:
You can be either Scottish, English, Welsh or (Northern) Irish and call yourself British.

Calling a Scot English is not good :( ;) :p

Like calling a Englishman Welsh :eek: :D

tell that to the folks who did the census records back in the early 1900s in the US :p

though I get yer drift now

SO, let's all start calling Soggy a Scot ;)

·
total MINI . com
34,893 Posts
wibbly said:
I think Soggy has hit the nail on the head with that explanation :)

Just unfortunate that most of the time, Englishmen cannot express themselves as English and only British (on application forms and the like) :mad:

Well done Soggy, I think that explains it almost perfectly - Does to an Englishman ( and a proud one at that) anyway :D
Thanks you - and I frequently cross out British and put English on my forms - US customs hate it :D

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
SoggyCornFlakes said:
Thanks you - and I frequently cross out British and put English on my forms - US customs hate it :D
haha I do exactly the same thing :p

Funny thing is my Missus hates it as well :D

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
klint said:
pmsl...This thread is interesting.

Hey everyone's forgetting the tiniest minority in the British Isles...the Manx ;) hehehe.
So what are you Guys Klint??

Manxonians or something??

·
Girl Next Door...
1,191 Posts
SoggyCornFlakes said:
Yeah they hate it so much that I got told to fill out another one and sent to the back of the queue :(

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SoggyCornFlakes said:
I'm English - English is of England. Sometimes you find some of the ethnic groups preferring to be British rather than English. A passport and citizenship is British rather than English. English implies more of an ethnicity to England whereas British is a more generic label. A snob may well prefer to say British as that is their true citizenship.

Does that make any sense - I know what I'm trying to say :D
Excellent!
Kinda what I was hoping the answer would be. Didn't like the lady anyway. Got the feeling she thought she was milling about with Commoners :rolleyes: :D

Step away to do some real work and I find this thread's been busy. I get so used to posting duds I figured this would be another.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
23 Participants
ABG
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing