MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 3 different 'professionals' changed 3 tyres and damaged 3 wheels I started as mission to find out why.

Most tyre places (2 MINI dealers included) do not have the equipment to change runflats and WILL damage your wheel if they attempt it.

Selected HI-Q garages (owned by GoodYear) have the equipment needed.

DO NOT get your tyre replaced/fixed anywhere without the equipment - you will end up with a damaged alloy.

www.hiq-tyres.co.uk to find a store near you.

Dave

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
MINIAC is trying to get information for his FAQ on this subject. I guess this sort of thing should be included in that as well.

Would BMW dealers have this sort of equipment or just farm it out ?

cheers

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 2 MINI dealers I have spoke to have no clue about this.

I found out by going to goodyear's website which linked to HI-Q - phoning them who immediately knew what I was talking about and told me of the closest garage with the equipment.

I have written to GoodYear also asking for an official response.

Will keep you up to date.

Much happied ordering the 16" daytonas on our replacement now.

Dave

·
Registered
232 Posts
Does anyone know why the rims get damaged?
Or better put; What's the difference between a run-flat rim and a regulare one..?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its not the rims that are the problem.

The runflat technology is basically a very tough/reinforced sidewall which is very inflexible when removing and replacing on the rim.

The regular machines have too much flex in them so the first/last section of the sidewall to be levered onto the rim means the arm flexes and damages the rim.

Dave

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
I emailed Goodyear customer relations to find out what special equipment was involved in changing runflats and here's what they had to say:
We are unsure as to the specifics of the equipment involved. However, all locations that are certified for Extended Mobility Tire service have received specific training in addition to utilizing the latest design of tire changing equipment.
I did some calling around to tire shops in my area to find out what changers they were using for runflats:

Most were using a Coats 5065 series:

One Goodyear distributor was using a Hunter TC3500:

Hunter tire changers are certified for Goodyear runflats.

One technician I talked to said that even with the correct equipment care must be taken so the tire pressure sensors on the wheels are not damaged.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
MINIAC said:
...One technician I talked to said that even with the correct equipment care must be taken so the tire pressure sensors on the wheels are not damaged.
Unlike the Corvette, the MINI does not have tire pressure sensors in the wheels as it uses data from the ABS to determine low pressure.

So, the technicians can be slightly more careless with MINI wheels? :)

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
BruceK said:

Unlike the Corvette, the MINI does not have tire pressure sensors in the wheels as it uses data from the ABS to determine low pressure
Bruce,

Thanks for pointing that out :D

I've placed a FAQ on this subject in the MAINTENANCE forum and put links to it in the FAQ on factory wheels.

If anyone has any additional info on this subject, send me a private message so I can include it in the FAQ.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts