MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mini OneS Owner
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, it's definately a Mini Adventure out there ;)

I did a tour round Europe in FIVE days! Drove from London to Lyon, then across into Switzerland and down to Milan, then back up through Switzerland, Lichenstein, Austria, Germany, Holland, Belgium and back through France!

I can post lots of pics, are people interested?

Horgy

·
Mini OneS Owner
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, here's some pics for people, with appropriate captions :)

Nice and clean outside my house - little did I realise how dirty 2000 miles of driving makes a car!

My sticker, especially cadged for the journey :)

Our chariot awaits at Dover!

Nestled in the hold of the ferry. That strange looking chap is Rob, my friend I went with

Funny story with this one, pulled in to fill up in France up with fuel (expecting it to be mega cheap) and encountered a queue of French police vans, ALSO queing for fuel hehe.. I sat behind for 20 mins, not knowing if by running round to the pumps on the right they would arrest me!

More coming..

Horgy

·
Mini OneS Owner
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

A bloody great overpass cut right through the mountains of Switzerland. I tell ya it was more fun driving round the twisty roads, Rob shat his pants :D

Posing in the car park of a hotel in Switzerland. Then the steward told me not to park in the middle of the car park again else he'd boot us out LOL

A nice view, i wasn't so far from where they made Evian bottled water (about 10 miles)

Another nice pic, of a traditional village building.

This thing was crazy, it was a hydro electric power station we saw on the side of the road, was pretty cool to look at - lots of doobreys and gadgets all around the place :)

Wow, no smog, no clouds!

Horgy

·
Mini OneS Owner
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Moving up into the mountains now, some impressive views up here. We're deep in the Alps! :)

I just like this view..

Top of the Simplon Pass! We made it!

Yes. Some crazy idiot built a pub up here :)

I thought i'd best christen my car with snow, hell we never see any in England much!

Middle of Milan, I obviously didn't see the best of town because it didn;t seem that nice to me - traffic was awful, the italians just leave cars everywhere (a traffic wardens heaven!)

Horgy

·
Mini OneS Owner
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

In the middle of Austria, between Bregenz and St Anton. See car is getting dirty!

My unwitting attempt at taking a marketing photo for Mini LOL

These two pictures sum up Austria. It was gorgeous. You could see for miles and the air was so clear, when we were up the top of the valleys you could easily see 50 miles...

ANother view in the mountains of Austria, this time snow was everywhere.

This was mild compared to some of the shite I drove through in Germany..

Back Home, and we're restocked and ready again! ;)

It was a really good trip, had some hairy moments on the Autobahn, it was dark, no catseyes, or street lamps and we got lost around the miles and miles of roads around Koln and Frankfurt!

It was so cool to see most of Europe, it's surprising how easy it is to see the change in landscape and area, as well as building styles. Oh and it snowed in Belgium too, absolutely hammered it down!

Horgy

·
Registered
162 Posts
Last Picture: Impressive use of boot space!!! :D

Those are some nice pictures...... how was the beer on top of the mountain? Ice cold I hope! :D

·
Proud Owner of YODA
44 Posts
Wow, that looks like great fun! It makes my little trips to the hills look like child's play. I love the random MINIs in the background in some of the pics. Were they friendly at all? How much planning was involved for a trip like this??

:green:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Great pics, looks like you and your MINI had a fantastic MINI adventure together.

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
some of those photos are fantastic! having lived (alhtough not driven) in germany, and also having made loads of trips from there to austria and switzerland (again, not by car, train all the way unf), your pics just bring back some of the totally breathtaking scenery. The only thing about the photos though, they don't do the real thing justice- breathtaking is the word, especially the snow covered mountains in the background- waow! Class photos pal, and well done on your trip- it looks like a blast!

did you go with any specific plan in mind, or were you just following your nose?

·
Mini OneS Owner
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL, I never even noticed the random mini's! A guy came up to my while I was at traffic lights in Milan and just said hello to me, got some nice looks on the car too..

Planning? I wish, we more or less booked the ticket and went with a vague idea where we wanted to go. It was scary sometimes though, we drove for an entire day not seeing anyone english! :)

Horgy

·
Is it just me, or...?
546 Posts
Fantastic Horgy, some good pics too.

I want to do something like this as well. Did you take a gps system, or just guess! :)

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Great pics.:cool: I like the way the car gets gradually dirty, I also like the way another Mini always seems to sneak into the picture (i.e. Milan).:p

I've always fancied doing something like that, but at a bit more leisurely pace.:)

·
Mini OneS Owner
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wish I had the DVD nav option, but mine was second hand and I won't be retro fitting! :D It would certainly of helped me around Frankfurt..

I'd be well up for doing it again, if a group of people want to do it next year? I can always put some sort of game plan together - most expensive part was the ferry, that was £119, else hotel bills really, but people can share, or car sleep, I know the back seat is certainly comfy ;) I went with Rob for a week and it cost me £400 all in, yes we shared petrol but for one person for a week would cost around 550 I think.

I made the mistake of just going, it should have really been planned a lot better. But then, I didn;t know in Europe I wanted to go. Given the choice i'd hot foot it through France and through switzerland and Germany again, Autobahn was fun but I wouldnt be able to keep up with you MCS boys (and girls) out there - I only have a one!

Horgy

P.S. Did you know a nearly full spec MCS Convertible in the US is only £13k? Go Pound! ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.