MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been using Meguiars Quik Detailer spray in between washes (washing happens every 2 weeks).I have been using the detailer spray with a cotton terry towel.I notice there are always some black spots which look like moles (tar spots?)and similar spots of different colours(are they tree saps?)I often gently scratch these with my nails if I can't remove them by the towel after a spray.When I do the wash,my Meguiars lambswool mitt has a bug and remover sieve like thing on one side which comes really handy.

My questions-should I be using the bug and tar remover before applying the Quik detailer?Is the gentle scratcing with nails (I have not noticed any scartch on the paintwork)harmful?

I am not getting good results on the windscreen and windows using the Quik detailer. The Autoglym Glass polish is not great and it often leaves white debris.Any suggestion for everyday glass cleaning? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
716 Posts
Techiedoc I would advise a full wash after using the bug and tar remover - quick detailer is really only for light cleaning or restoring your "just waxed" look after a wash.

as quick detailer has a slight waxy content i wouldn't expect it to make a good job of your windows.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Wul said:
Techiedoc I would advise a full wash after using the bug and tar remover - quick detailer is really only for light cleaning or restoring your "just waxed" look after a wash.

as quick detailer has a slight waxy content i wouldn't expect it to make a good job of your windows.
What Wul said.
Don't use the Detailer on glass. Bad idea.
Don't scratch at the spots, use a proper bug and tar remover and wax the spot when you're done.
Sometimes just letting a drop of wax set on spots will loosen it and you just buff it out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
obehave said:
What Wul said.
Don't use the Detailer on glass. Bad idea.
Don't scratch at the spots, use a proper bug and tar remover and wax the spot when you're done.
Sometimes just letting a drop of wax set on spots will loosen it and you just buff it out.
I dont want to come across wrong but, you CAN use a QD on windows. Try 1Z{Einszett Lackfinish) detail spray. Recommended for use on windows.As for the marks, it migh be road crud. Keep washing. You usually shouldnt need to use bug and tar removal with every wash. What do you have for paint protection? Need to know if you have used "Cleaning clay" yet?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
jonw440
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing