MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UK's EVO Car of the Year edition has just landed on my desk......

Heres some extracts about the current Works car....

The writer drives an older JCWS, and was dissapointed at first to be given the new JCW car to drive to the test route in North Wales.... heres his story...

"I'm still brooding about having been given the JCW.... but the car is a very different one from the one I know..... "

"Almost everyhting that matters to people like us had been refind..., and not just a little bit either... much improved... engine transformed... smoother, keener, stronger than before... new Cooper S Works is rabidly fast.... every time I hoof it in third, theres a real sense of impending arrest...."

"the car I thought I knew like the back of my hand - has just proved a revelation...."

The EVO car of the year results.... well Mini beats:

Adui RS6... Vauhaul Monaro.... Vauxhaul VXR220... SLK350.... Mitsubishi EVO 340.... tp name some. But it doesn't win. It costs way more than its immiediate rival (Clio 182)....

But to find out the rest... go buy the mag.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ah, great post!

Even better knowing that I will get my JCW-kit on Monday..... well Tuesday it is. Can´t wait!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CCLSC

·
///M Power
5,066 Posts
It's posts like that which could end up costing me a lot of money!!! :D

...................> reminder to self to get a final quote for the JCW kit fitted :p

·
Riding on JCW power!
367 Posts
CooperID said:
It's posts like that which could end up costing me a lot of money!!! :D

...................> reminder to self to get a final quote for the JCW kit fitted :p

I know the feeling m8, reading the EVO review on the JCW 210 was my mistake :) oh what the heck bring it on next year....................... :D :D

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm now dieing to get my '04 MCS upgraded to the 210bhp Works! What is really killing me at the moment is the insurance. In this months 'Car' magazine the JCW goes up against the new Golf GTI, Civic Type R and Renaultsport Megane 225. All cars are almost exactly as powerful/fast as each other, but the JCW is the winner (ending in: "a polite but firm argument breaks out over who gets to drive the mini home - three drivers all vying for the keys") :D :D . However, all of the other cars are insurance group 17, whereas the JCW is 19. Note that all of the cars have almost the same power (in fact, the Renault is 222bhp), 0-60 times and top speeds, but the JCW is not one but TWO insurance groups higher. Hopefully by the middle of next year I would have the cash to get the conversion, but now I'm not sure if I could get insured! Why the big difference between these cars?

·
///M Power
5,066 Posts
Davislove3rd said:
I know the feeling m8, reading the EVO review on the JCW 210 was my mistake :) oh what the heck bring it on next year....................... :D :D
I think I'll be doing the same....I just need to get a good price from the dealers :)

·
///M Power
5,066 Posts
adamlondon said:
I'm now dieing to get my '04 MCS upgraded to the 210bhp Works! What is really killing me at the moment is the insurance. In this months 'Car' magazine the JCW goes up against the new Golf GTI, Civic Type R and Renaultsport Megane 225. All cars are almost exactly as powerful/fast as each other, but the JCW is the winner (ending in: "a polite but firm argument breaks out over who gets to drive the mini home - three drivers all vying for the keys") :D :D . However, all of the other cars are insurance group 17, whereas the JCW is 19. Note that all of the cars have almost the same power (in fact, the Renault is 222bhp), 0-60 times and top speeds, but the JCW is not one but TWO insurance groups higher. Hopefully by the middle of next year I would have the cash to get the conversion, but now I'm not sure if I could get insured! Why the big difference between these cars?
TBH I think the high grouping is to do with the conversion thing... if it was a variant rather than an upgrade, I bet it would be grp 17 or 18 :rolleyes:

What will be interesting is to see what happens if it they make the JCW a factory option next year.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Tony*t3 said:
UK's EVO Car of the Year edition has just landed on my desk......

It probably is the EVO January 2005 issue isn't it ?

On the continent we still live in November 2004 though ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
mhoutman said:
It probably is the EVO January 2005 issue isn't it ?

On the continent we still live in November 2004 though ;)
As an EVO subscriber I'm used to their premium continental delivery speed -- which means I'll receive my ECOTY issue on Dec 15 earliest :(

Doesn't matter that much, though -- I can guess this year's ECOTY winner: some Porsche, most likely some 911. Each and every year, it's a Porsche. So I guess this year it'll gonna have to be the new 997.

Note that I don't have anything against Porsches. It's just that those 911s' apparent perfection gets a bit tiresome. Lucky me I can always dig out last year's AutoExpress' Driver Car of the Year copy which had our beloved MINI (the JCWS variant) as the winner.

cheers
Stefan

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
s310 said:
As an EVO subscriber I'm used to their premium continental delivery speed -- which means I'll receive my ECOTY issue on Dec 15 earliest :(

Doesn't matter that much, though -- I can guess this year's ECOTY winner: some Porsche, most likely some 911. Each and every year, it's a Porsche. So I guess this year it'll gonna have to be the new 997.

Note that I don't have anything against Porsches. It's just that those 911s' apparent perfection gets a bit tiresome. Lucky me I can always dig out last year's AutoExpress' Driver Car of the Year copy which had our beloved MINI (the JCWS variant) as the winner.

cheers
Stefan

you forgot one detail. Its yellow too....

Well guessed.

Although the Renault Clio Sport 182 almost stole it - closest result ever, must be one hell of a car....

·
bepmoc-er
265 Posts
its a great article eCOTY, took me the train ride to work and back to get through it! I have a lot of respect for the 182, as a driving tool it really is very well reputed, however for the whole driving experience it isnt a patch on what is 'special' about a MINI. And yes it is a porsche, and yes it is a 911.... yawn!

·
What's this button do?
568 Posts
Tony*t3 said:
Which we can do here in the 'States in what, February :)
I love reading EVO, but at $10/issue it's a bit pricey, so I have to pick my issues carefully. Oddly, the international subscription price works out to be more than $12/issue at current rates...

-Eric

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tony*t3 said:
you forgot one detail. Its yellow too....

Well guessed.

Although the Renault Clio Sport 182 almost stole it - closest result ever, must be one hell of a car....
ive gone from mini 1 to clio 182 and its super the ride quality is so smooth and its bloody quick i like the traction control -cruise control-climate control-leather and alcantara seats i thought the build quality would be shite but its really good i love it what a bargin. got a spanking new one with all extras for 13k from dealer

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
shabbashabba said:
ive gone from mini 1 to clio 182 and its super the ride quality is so smooth and its bloody quick i like the traction control -cruise control-climate control-leather and alcantara seats i thought the build quality would be shite but its really good i love it what a bargin. got a spanking new one with all extras for 13k from dealer
Sounds good. I do like them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.