MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing the new Evo mag out today. In it is a running report on the Works Cooper. Things are not going well. They have suffered the flat battery problem caused by the single CD player and the synchro has gone on second gear! A new gearbox had to be ordered and they have had problems getting hold of one.

Sorry I can't remember the whole story as when I went back to buy it they were all sold out.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
You don't write the sensational headlines for Fleet Street, do you? ;)

It seems a little misleading to say "Evo Staff Works Cooper broken down!" when neither of the two problems you mentioned seems to be related to the JCW coversion. I suppose you might blame the gearbox problem on the higher output of the JCW engine, but that would just be a guess, wouldn't it? Did EVO place blame in the article?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I wasn't misled Bruce - My first reaction to the title was not that the break down was caused by the JCW conversion

...2c

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
BruceK said:
You don't write the sensational headlines for Fleet Street, do you? ;)

It seems a little misleading to say "Evo Staff Works Cooper broken down!" when neither of the two problems you mentioned seems to be related to the JCW coversion. I suppose you might blame the gearbox problem on the higher output of the JCW engine, but that would just be a guess, wouldn't it? Did EVO place blame in the article?
They didn't apportion any blame in the article - only saying that the problem appeared to be a lack of syncromesh on second but had come on acutely rather than over time as you may expect with a synchro prob. Engaging the clutch made it a whole lot worse so they thought it may be that - Investigations were ongoing - Apparently the synchro ring had cracked

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They did question as to if the higher engine output was responsible. The Cooper is fitted with an ecu controlled 1st and 2nd gear torque limiter to prevent damage. The Cooper S is fitted with a stronger 6 speed Gretag 'box. They thought that extra power should not have caused the damage due to the torque limiter system.

Investigation is still going on, but a cracked synchro ring has been found. This could have been faulty from manufacture or could have been damaged as a secondary effect. I'm sure electronics systems wil be investigated too.

Critics of owners with MINI problems try to claim that they are only a small minority who do not represent the true picture. It just goes to show that even journalists get the same sort of problems as some of the rest of us, proving that MINIs with problems are not such a small minority as some would like to believe.

The EVO photo of the MINI with the bonnet up and broken down on a remote desolate road was uncannily like the day that I drove home with my new MINI and started the "Lemon Adventure". Only the steam was missing.

The title of this posting is accurate. The car is a Cooper Works, it did break down (2 seperate reasons), and it is an EVO magazines long term test car. If I had the full article I could tell you more. There were other issues mentioned, such as parts availability, customer service, and loan cars. If anyone has the article perhaps they would like to contribute further.

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
I do have the full article and am a long term EVO subscriber - As such I would comment that they are particularly hard and harsh on their cars - They share them around the office take them on many a 'thrash' and if you read it regualrly you find that the MINI is no different to all the other staff cars - regularly to be found in the garage - having something broken - being complained about

After all this is what motoring journalists are there to do push the reasonable limits of physical and ergonomics of the cars we have to drive longer term

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Is this the LATEST Evo mag :confused: :confused:
If so im off to the shops :) :)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
At last some real news on the S...maybe

Racer said:

March edition - Has Cooper S vs FocusST170
That's gonna be very interesting to read

Presumably other car mags (e.g. Car) will be getting a test car for March issue too

Anyone know any more?

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
Re: At last some real news on the S...maybe

rich said:

That's gonna be very interesting to read

Presumably other car mags (e.g. Car) will be getting a test car for March issue too

Anyone know any more?
Strangely March Car is bereft of MINI unless I am missing them ! -

·
Ex-Mini2 Racer & Sponsor
562 Posts
smiffy said:

Im off to the shops :D :D :D :D :D
Don't get too excited Smiffy - the Evo article isn't a test drive, just static shots of the 2 cars and info on the engineering, same as last Wednesday's Autocar.

Andy

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have now got a copy of EVO.

It seems that the EVO car bears remarkable similarities to the experiences I have had.

They mention a broken windscreen. My loaned MINI had a broken windscreen just in front of the drivers side running horizontally. Next my replacement MINI did the same in the same place. Dogger also reported his windscreen breaking with no obvious cause.There may be a pattern developing here.

The drivers seat base had gone wrong too. So had mine.

They also were given a base Nova. So was I. Where do they find all these Novas from?

Parts supply problems. Yes another common problem. It took 28 days to get a gearbox. It took me 42 days to get a headlamp.

Evo didn't get an overheated engine like I did but got a cracked synchro ring, a battery flattening single cd player, and a window that will not auto dip when being opened. Of course the power from the JCW can not have caused these problems.

I don't think you can blame hard driving either.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Why did the replacement gearbox have to come from Germany :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Broken Synchro

I suspect EVO have been doing full throttle shifts from 1st to 2nd gear - this makes for very quick shifts if you can do it, but absolutely knackers the synchro.

The synchros on MINI have been uprated to double cones compared to the Rover equivalent - that's why the shift is so slick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts