MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just installed the Evolve Dooper ECU re-map, using the tuning box that allows me to re-install the original map whenever I need or want to.

A really simple process - the whole operation was completed in less than 3 hours. The Evolve guys were really quick and courteous in getting the new program emailed to me and the instructions for the installation were easy and clear to follow.

So, first impressions (and there will be more to follow as I put more miles on the car);

The slight engine roughness between 2 and 3k revs has disappeared and the engine is much smoother through to 3.5k (I haven't explored the region above this yet, there is generally little point in using high revs in a diesel).

The car is much more eager and smoother from 1k, being far less hesitant in picking up speed, which it does more readily as well.

Initial thoughts - really happy. Time will tell if I see any benefits in terms of fuel consumption, but with more performance on tap that may not happen. On the 15 mile spin I have just taken it on the consumption did not suffer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Nick. Glad you like it. I am sure you will be even more impressed in the long term.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A further update after a couple of weeks and a few hundred miles.

My initial impressions have not changed.

The car continues to feel more lively and much nicer to drive. Despite the car's greater willingness and liveliness (and my use of the extra performance) fuel consumption has not suffered at all and I am still averaging in the low/mid 60s.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A further update after a couple of weeks and a few hundred miles.

My initial impressions have not changed.

The car continues to feel more lively and much nicer to drive. Despite the car's greater willingness and liveliness (and my use of the extra performance) fuel consumption has not suffered at all and I am still averaging in the low/mid 60s.
Any chance of another update?

I live in Australia so ECU re-maps are hard to come by. This unit looks like it may be what I'm after.

Cheers, Will

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, another update....

Its now nearly 6 months later and 9000 miles further on and I have never regretted one moment of the remap. Fuel consumption is unaffected (and at the same time as the remap I changed to a bigger wheel/tyre combination for the Summer months).

I have had no problems and the car remains a livelier, more fun driving experience. It has transformed our view of diesels and both the M3 and Z4 are being sold to facilitate the purchase of a 123d convertible.

The only downside.....I hit pheasants/pigeons at higher speeds now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
OK, another update....

Its now nearly 6 months later and 9000 miles further on and I have never regretted one moment of the remap. Fuel consumption is unaffected (and at the same time as the remap I changed to a bigger wheel/tyre combination for the Summer months).

I have had no problems and the car remains a livelier, more fun driving experience. It has transformed our view of diesels and both the M3 and Z4 are being sold to facilitate the purchase of a 123d convertible.

The only downside.....I hit pheasants/pigeons at higher speeds now.
I'm glad to hear that it is performing well for you.

Have you thought of putting a bigger and more freely flowing exhaust on your Dooper?

Cheers, Will

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An update on my experience with the Evolve re-map.

The car has now covered 27k (16k since the re-map) and has given me a 58mpg average over the period I have had the car. As the pre-install re-map was 57mpg, I have seen nearly a 2mpg increase; small but useful (and that did include a very cold winter when fuel usage increases).

I restored the old map for the car's first service, but not the second and no comment was made by the dealer.

More importantly the car has been really fun to drive. The extra torque has proved highly entertaining and the extra bhp means that the diesel engine continues to pull higher in the rev range. I am sure I have surprised one or two other cars on the road.

However, I have been seduced by a new Cooper S Diesel and the Dooper will be going soon in part exchange.

I will restore the map before I part exchange it, but I don't think I will be able to use the re-mapping device on the Sooper Dooper, although I will be asking Evolve what I might be able to do. So, it is possible that the re-mapping device may be available for sale.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
alfboden
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing