MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, been a guest on forums for years and found them very helpful but became a member to see if anyone can solve this problem. mini one 2002 petrol (my wifes car) took for mot at local bmw garage on way noticed exsessive brake pedal travel. failed mot on this said needed new discs and pads all round. took to mechanic friend who replaced them with non genuine parts. pedal still same failed mot again experienced bmw mechanic said didnt know what problem was could be air in ABS so he bled this using computer to open valves. still same they will take car in for investigation £70 per hour and start replacing parts at my cost until rectified. brakes been pressure bled (used 7 litres of fluid) handbrake adjustment correct according to BMW servo working correctly ABS works, brakes pass MOT standard but pedal travel too far any ideas? cheers

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I have a similar problem 2002 Mini One.............our other Mini One also 2002 has minimal brake travel and more powerful brakes.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Mine passed MOT ok as brakes are up to required efficiency with new discs and pads all round but pedal just has a long travel compared with our other Mini, which you do get used to but it would be nice to narrow down what causes this..........let me know if you find an answer please! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers for the info will probably take mini to another mot testing station who are more forgiving as like you say brakes work correctly and are safe will let you know if i find a soloution to the problem

·
Registered
97 Posts
You might want to inquire about a part number/spec change on the master cylinder for an 03 and later. Because you both reference an 02 it makes me wonder if the bore of the later car was increased a very slight amount to firm it up.

·
mini50man
55 Posts
Brake Master Cylinder

I have an '02 Cooper with after market rotors. Suffered from a low pedal when the brakes got hot. Replaced the master Cylinder in 2007 so I assume it would be the latest part but did not improve things. The car stops really well despite approx 30mm of pedal travel. Try bleeding the brakes an hour before the MOT.
I have tried EBC Red pads for track days and EBC green for Hillclimbs and road use. Not impressed at all. Gone back to standard pads on aftermarket slotted rotors. This seems to be the best option for good performance hot and cold.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i have the same travel on my 2001 cooper now i have tested my brakes had looked them all over i have alot of pad left on and discs look good. i have the pedal travel but my friend MOTS's do it will pass anyway if the brakes are sufficient which miner definatly are as they stopped me having an accident the other day! heading along my local a road the car in front f me had a blow out, spun out and hit the car next to him i hit my brakes and went from 70-0 in a matter of feet :L soo the pedal travel doesnt seem to be a problem!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just got a 05 cooper, and I'm dissapointed with the ammount of brake pedal travel. Pads and discs are good all round, and the mini dealer replaced fluid before delivery. (and gave it a new MOT). I think the auto adjusters on the rear calipersmay not be working well. Has anyone had this before???

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I still have the long pedal travel but have just learn't to live with it............does not seem to affect braking efficiency.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my girlfriends s had the same problem but her disks and pads were humped :aargh::xptq3c: Replaced them and gave the brakes a good bleed and all is good now :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've just had new after Market gtt rear discs, pads and as one was no good: a pair of new non BMW brake Calipers. The brake travel is awful, it's like there's no servo.
Plus, the Change Pads dashboard light is illuminated as the gtt pads don't have the gap for the sensor. Gtt said the light would be cured after 15 revolutions (of what????).

They weren't like this before. Any advise? Simon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
to fix this you need to replace the abs unit itself. bleeding it will not make a diffrence at all! Also it should NOT fail the mot on this alone (long pedal travel) unless its got a imbalence or judder or not enough pressure etc to go with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
looks like there is a whole bunch of us experiencing this long pedal travel issue which we all know is not due to air in the system or defective discs or pads or anything like that. Its like the first bit of travel is taking up some 'slack' in the component chain somewhere before the fluid actually starts to be compressed by the master cylinder??
As the other posts say, the brakes still work absolutley fine, it just does not feel right and it increases brake reaction time which is not as safe as it could be.
There must be an answer out there somewhere. It does seem to be early 2000's 1st generation Minis that are affected. Piecing together info from other miniforums, the North American one is very good, this seems to happen when brake pads are replaced. One guy actually put his old OEM pads back in after his pedal travel increased when he fitted some 'performance' pads and his travel returned to normal!! i wonder if its a brake pad thing??

·
Li'l ol' wine drinker, me
176 Posts
The dreaded Brake pedal travel issue

I've owned a MCS since new in 03, and for a far as I can remember, have had this issue. Like many, I've never had difficulty stopping the car on road or track, but the slack in the pedal had always been an irritation for me. I notice that the Mini Challenge people had similar issues:

Hi,

It does sound like bubbles in the system despite the pressure bleeding. The lines to the rears go up and over the fuel tank and can be VERY difficult to eradicate any air bubbles as they tend to "hide " in the highest part of the sysem. I drive a car in the UK John Cooper Challenge race series , and we always have this problem with pedal travel despite braided hoses, race fluid and uprated pads.Some cars are worse than others and nobody seems to be able to fix it premanantly.Some guys will bleed the brakes with the front of the car considerably higher than the rear to try get the bubbles out.

I have also heard of pressure bleeding a brake system causing problems by "inverting" the seal in the master cylinder giving a similar problem.

My suggestion would be to try manually bleeding each line and see if bubbles come out. This may help.

Keith
I've driven many 1st gen minis and felt that in general, the non S cars had a better pedal than the S cars. I don't know why yet. My wifes 05 one diesel has a rock hard pedal with excellent brakes, while my S Works with Wilwood front set up, has a very sloppy pedal.

My wife's car has never had the fluid drained, just pads replaced, whereas my S has had the fluid drained several times when replacing calipers, getting ready for track etc. I can't remember a pedal travel issue before I drained the fluid, and I wonder is there an air lock in some corner that's difficult to get out with a standard bleed. How did they bleed them at the factory, is it done while the car is on the rotisserie, (on it's side)?

I'm going to ask around a bit more on the subject, and try yet another bleed session. If I make any progress, I'll post it here.

·
Li'l ol' wine drinker, me
176 Posts
maybe the discs are warn....
Car is on it's 5th set of discs, current set have done about 400 miles. Changing discs or calipers has never made any difference to the pedal travel.

My wife's mini one, by contrast, is still on it's original discs with 53,000 miles on the clock, and it's pedal travel is spot on. It's due to have it's fluid replaced though, and if that changes things, I'll be looking closer at the bleeding process.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Car is on it's 5th set of discs, current set have done about 400 miles. Changing discs or calipers has never made any difference to the pedal travel.

My wife's mini one, by contrast, is still on it's original discs with 53,000 miles on the clock, and it's pedal travel is spot on. It's due to have it's fluid replaced though, and if that changes things, I'll be looking closer at the bleeding process.

Can you pump up the pedal so it's hard?....If you can't I would look at the servo and master cylinder. The brake pedal on my R53 JCW S is rock hard with little or no play at all. I have changed the disks, pads also the fluid.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts