MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had a problem with this excessive brake travel.

Before a v recent brake service my 07 mini ( bought from new) had touch sensitive brakes....always responsive to the slightest of pressure.

Now... after front and rear pads changed and also new rear calipers ...the brake pedal travel is so much more. This is troublesome.

I now have to press more firmly and its taken some time for the pads to 'bed in' so that I stop in reasonable time.

I now seem to have a distance for the pedal to travel before feeling that I am beginning to stop!

I suspect the problem is in the use of non mini parts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I read something on another forum that says the dealer diagnostic software can put ABS into bleed mode which opens the valves in ABS unit and lets you get all air out.

The other method mentioned was to apply brakes so ABS cuts in and this will help push air past valves, you then need to bleed again and may need to be repeated several times.

Dont know if it will help but thought i would mention it.

·
Li'l ol' wine drinker, me
176 Posts
Did all that, made no diff at the time.

I have noticed an improvement in pedal travel over last few months, only change was new rear calipers.

There was a bedding in issue with new discs/pads which improved things, and also maybe I'm getting more used to it.

If all else fails, look at the master cylinder.

An extreme solution is an M3 master cylinder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, Has anyone come up with an answer for the brake pedal travel on the 02 Mini Cooper ? I'm at a loss now and don't won't to just throw money at me car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply I have Bleed all the callipers to death, and checked the sliders on the rear. Think I may try bleeding from the fittings on the abs unit as well. All the pads have plenty of life left, so their ok. With mine I only get excessive travel when the engine is running.?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply I have Bleed all the callipers to death, and checked the sliders on the rear. Think I may try bleeding from the fittings on the abs unit as well. All the pads have plenty of life left, so their ok. With mine I only get excessive travel when the engine is running.?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Make sure the spring clips on the rear inner pads are properly secured on the rear caliper piston. If the spring clips are sitting between the piston and the pad this will cause a "spongy" pedal and make the system feel like there is air present.

·
Registered
461 Posts
While you're in there, have a very close look at the brake pads themselves. Make sure they're worn evenly.
I had something similar on one of my other cars, the sliding caliper caused the pads to wear more on one side of the pad turning them into a bit of a wedge. This meant that the first bit of pedal travel was taken up aligning the pad with the disc rather than slowing the car. The rest of the symptoms were exactly what you describe.
I ended up replacing the faulty caliper (as well as its mate on the other side) and pads. Not cheap but it fixed the issue.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've got "LONG" brake pedal travel on mine(53 reg) took mine in to get brake fluid change.found a bleed valve on f/offside was seized.
I'm gonna buy a set of stainless steel bleed valves and maybe a new set of front calipers.It's had new discs+ pads.Still stops good though.
I had "LONG TRAVEL" on my 65 Mini,maybe it's a MINI THING!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this issue with my 54 mcs. I found that the spring clips on the rear pads weren't over the piston, the pads had just been put in place. Once I had slipped the clips over the piston and reassembled, the pedal was back in the position you'd expect.
Worth a look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have this problem on a 2006 GP.
my friend also has a GP and his pedal is nice and stiff.
Mine has a lot of pedal travel and then the brakes feel fine.

I have fully bled system Including the abs module, using the bmw software. All brake system parts are new except brake booster, brake lines and the abs module. The rear caliper clip is correctly installed and the brake feel is the same, whether or not handbrake is pulled. It feels stiffer when car not running

Car only has 40k miles.

I’m considering replacing the brake booster and then abs system as last resort.
Before I throw more money, has anyone figured this out???

21 - 34 of 34 Posts