MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MINIs sent to the US are to have in-dash CD players as standard equipment, but in a MINI2 News article is this strangely worded bit of info:

"Additionally, the standard 6-speaker in-dash CD audio system can be exchanged at no cost for a 6-speaker stereo cassette audio system."

Who in the world would want to give a CD system to get a cassette system?! Is is just an excuse to send some cassette-equipped MINIs to the US? Not that I can complain at all about the ultra-low prices of the US-bound MINIs. So maybe this is one way of keeping the prices low?

Here's the source of the information:

http://www.mini2.com/news/news.php?id=97

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have heard through a very reliable inside source at Oxford HQ that the reason for such a good price for the US SPEC cars, is that they are recycling our rejected vehicles and sending them over the pond.

Apparantly our American cousins are not as fussy as us Brits....

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
blade929 said:
I have heard through a very reliable inside source at Oxford HQ that the reason for such a good price for the US SPEC cars, is that they are recycling our rejected vehicles and sending them over the pond.

Apparantly our American cousins are not as fussy as us Brits....

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Not true at all. It just now that the higher-priced beta-test cars have all been sold the the Brits for sorting out, the finished product is much cheaper. :) :D

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
BruceK said:
MINIs sent to the US are to have in-dash CD players as standard equipment, but in a MINI2 News article is this strangely worded bit of info:

"Additionally, the standard 6-speaker in-dash CD audio system can be exchanged at no cost for a 6-speaker stereo cassette audio system."

Who in the world would want to give a CD system to get a cassette system?! Is is just an excuse to send some cassette-equipped MINIs to the US? Not that I can complain at all about the ultra-low prices of the US-bound MINIs. So maybe this is one way of keeping the prices low?

Here's the source of the information:

http://www.mini2.com/news/news.php?id=97
To get the thread back on topic, it doesn't make a lot of sense does it. Unless AGAIN, BMW are playing up non events into marketing propaganda. I thought at first it may have been a typo and should have read "MD" system, but having checked the MD option over (under) here, it is a $290AU option and replaces the standard CD. I would imagine that US cars would have similar specs to here (except for the foglights on our S's of course :D ).

Mind you, you are getting SIX speaker audio. The oz spec Cooper brochure I have lists the audio systems with only FOUR speakers (probably don't put the tweeters in their little housing by the handles). You get two additional speakers we get two foglights!!!:confused:

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
What about if someone wants to get a CD changer?? Why would they want a CD in the front as well?? Might as well have a tape deck there, surely??

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
monsta said:
What about if someone wants to get a CD changer?? Why would they want a CD in the front as well?? Might as well have a tape deck there, surely??
Sorry monsta i dont agree i have cd + cd multi
cant remember the last time i had a cassette.
but some people have cd front and mini disc changer in the boot.

.:) ;) :)

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I feel the same zoooooom, but some people must use tapes still??

I would rather have an MD head unit and a CD changer. Haven't used a tape since about 1995!

:)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yep - I had an 8-track in a '65 Mustang GT.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
zoooooom said:
My Mini van has an 8track remember them you oldtimers?
Ha ha, I even had a few Beach Boy's 8 track tapes too......(probably shouldn't have gone public on that one.)

Oh well, now I'm "out there".......:D

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
monsta said:
I feel the same zoooooom, but some people must use tapes still??
I would rather have an MD head unit and a CD changer. Haven't used a tape since about 1995!
:)
I agree with Monsta, I much rather have a MD player w/ a CD changer. Why wouldn't they make a MD player option available in the states? They don't have them for the BMWs sold here as well whereas I am aware of such option in Europe (for the 5 series at least) :confused: This just forces me to look into aftermarket options when my MINI arrives :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts