MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent the best part of 5 hours looking at my finances, and insurance quotes, and my Mini dream is probably at an end. I was due to pick it up next week, but I just don't think I can afford it - excitement has clouded my judgement.

The best quote, so far, has been £1500/year. On top of that I'd be paying £240/month for the car itself.

Maybe I'll win the lottery tonight :(

Desperately sad and :bad::bad::bad::bad:ed off

Will

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem is Paul, although I'm 22 I only passed my Test in April. It appears to go down significantly after a year's driving - but, at the moment, I can't find anywhere cheap enough. Even as a named driver (and most only accept you as the main driver, not named, esp if you own the car).

It's a standard 05 Chilli Cooper (few extras such as visibility pack, sunroof etc). I've been completely honest with the insurers - pointless lying to them about having driven for 2 years, or leaving it in the garage, etc...if they find out, I'd be screwed, so...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kind of in love with the Coop :) Driven it quite a few times now...what a nightmare this is!! NIGHTMARE I TELL YOU, NIGHTMARE!

Damned blasted Mini obsession

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did consider it - I guess it was the idea of my first brand new car which lulled me in. And, most of the Cherished at my dealership were £14k+! (great specs of course)

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
Yeah go cherished? and as its not completly new, u might get a better quote. can i recommend a ffew insurers tho, as i looked at cooper b4 ordering mcs, and had better quotes than that and im only 20. try HIC and liverpool victoria. Liv victoria has a website aswell,

http://www.liverpoolvictoria.co.uk/customer/protecting/motor/introduction.htm

Try a online quote!!!! (During week is better as you get a proper quote and buy, cos its now offpeak you acn only get a accurate vauge quote (i.e. they say between 1000 and 1100)

:)

·
off out....
19,946 Posts
miniwilly said:
I did consider it - I guess it was the idea of my first brand new car which lulled me in. And, most of the Cherished at my dealership were £14k+! (great specs of course)

The website is pretty good if you're looking for cherished & if you don't mind travelling - or getting your local dealer to help find one out for you.

you could always get a ONE & chip it/paint the roof - at least you can do these things over time.

Hope you work it out, best of luck! :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks chaps. Just tried another quote with Elephant this time which came to....about £500. I thought "THAT can't be right!" Problem with Elephant is you can't choose the specific model (i.e. Chili), but that quote was for my Mum as the main driver (old, sensible, blah blah etc) and me as the named (and my brother). I'm sceptical, very, but it's made me think "hmm....maybe."

·
Ecstatic new JCW owner!
2,013 Posts
Be careful with Elephant. They don't cover options so if your MINI were a total loss you could get a basic one as a replacement, do a search of the 'Insurance & finance' forum.

I can sympathise, my insurance cost me £1300 for a Cooper and I'm twenty-eleven.

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
miniwilly said:
Thanks chaps. Just tried another quote with Elephant this time which came to....about £500. I thought "THAT can't be right!" Problem with Elephant is you can't choose the specific model (i.e. Chili), but that quote was for my Mum as the main driver (old, sensible, blah blah etc) and me as the named (and my brother). I'm sceptical, very, but it's made me think "hmm....maybe."
Willi, can i point out something, give them the reg, which brings it up on there system, and YOU WILL NOT need to spec the chilli. You buy the car with them options, there not aftermarket items, there as per the vehicle was made. I know insurance inside out, I deal with much insurance stuff. If say, you brought diffferent wheels, i.e. a OZ set, you would need to alert ur insurance company. def try liverpool victoria tho, cheaper than elephant NORMALLY.

·
XYZ
271 Posts
Hmmm I'm having a dilemma at the moment about whether to keep my ONE get a new ONE or a new Cooper S.

The only way I could afford to do it is on finance - have you thought about spreading the cost of the car over a longer period - knocking the £240/a month down to something more manageable for you?

:bone: Pat :bone:

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Yes, be very wary of Elephant, Admiral etc. Technically (accordig to the T&C's) they only cover a basic spec car. If you have a Cooper Chilli with Harmon Kardon, 17" optional alloys, stripes, and the Aero Kit, they may charge extra to cover you for those options (as you become a higher risk), but technically they only cover the basic Cooper when it comes to claim time.

Read the Elephant.co.uk insurance warning thread in the Insurance forum.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MrMini748 said:
Hmmm I'm having a dilemma at the moment about whether to keep my ONE get a new ONE or a new Cooper S.

The only way I could afford to do it is on finance - have you thought about spreading the cost of the car over a longer period - knocking the £240/a month down to something more manageable for you?

£240/month is over 48 months..I really don't want to go much more over that(!)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Paul Mullett said:
Yes, be very wary of Elephant, Admiral etc. Technically (accordig to the T&C's) they only cover a basic spec car. If you have a Cooper Chilli with Harmon Kardon, 17" optional alloys, stripes, and the Aero Kit, they may charge extra to cover you for those options (as you become a higher risk), but technically they only cover the basic Cooper when it comes to claim time.

Read the Elephant.co.uk insurance warning thread in the Insurance forum.
Thanks Paul will check it out. Thought it were too good to be true :mad:

·
XYZ
271 Posts
miniwilly said:
£240/month is over 48 months..I really don't want to go much more over that(!)
Crap thats a lot of cash a month. Have you really specced the Cooper up a lot?

Thought of putting down a bigger lump sum to reduce the payments that way?

Could you even get a loan from the AA - they offer typical APR of 6.4% which is better than MINI financial services.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RobHardyUK said:
Willi, can i point out something, give them the reg, which brings it up on there system, and YOU WILL NOT need to spec the chilli. You buy the car with them options, there not aftermarket items, there as per the vehicle was made. I know insurance inside out, I deal with much insurance stuff. If say, you brought diffferent wheels, i.e. a OZ set, you would need to alert ur insurance company. def try liverpool victoria tho, cheaper than elephant NORMALLY.
Rob, mate can you elaborate a bit more? My concern is, if I go with Elephant and need to make a claim, they'll say "ah, but you've got THIS and THAT and THIS and you didn't tell us." Isn't that what would happen?

I would have thought the Reg number (not got it yet) will bring up the entire spec, chilli and everything and they'll price it accordingly.

Finally, are there similar concerns regarding Liverpool Victoria?

Cheers

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MrMini748 said:
Crap thats a lot of cash a month. Have you really specced the Cooper up a lot?

Thought of putting down a bigger lump sum to reduce the payments that way?

Could you even get a loan from the AA - they offer typical APR of 6.4% which is better than MINI financial services.

It's a £16k Coop, Pat, and I've put down £4k already so...

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
miniwilly said:
Rob, mate can you elaborate a bit more? My concern is, if I go with Elephant and need to make a claim, they'll say "ah, but you've got THIS and THAT and THIS and you didn't tell us." Isn't that what would happen?

I would have thought the Reg number (not got it yet) will bring up the entire spec, chilli and everything and they'll price it accordingly.

Finally, are there similar concerns regarding Liverpool Victoria?

Cheers
Trust me with Elephant etc. I left Admiral "mid-term" for this very reason. It truly is disgusting in my view. :(

Liverpool Victoria don't have these issues, I'm with them now (after a spell with BMW Insurance, very good) and their cover is excellent.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
10 Participants
laura f
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing