MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First post!
Does anyone else' mini's make a load resonating noise when slowly accelerating at about 1300-14000 rpm?
We feel it might just be a characteristic not a problem.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
MadMiniManiac said:
First post!
Does anyone else' mini's make a load resonating noise when slowly accelerating at about 1300-14000 rpm?
Hmmmm..... I'm guessing that somewhere the noise will start to become unbearable around 11000 right up to 14000. :D

(sorry ;) )

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops that was meant to be 1300-1400 rpm :eek:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yeah, mine does - and my after-market car-radio joined in on Friday night, just when I was trying to tell everyone in the car what a fabulously constructed toy it was :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I said, I don't think it is a problem. I was just wondering if all Coopers do it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's not just the Cooper. My One does it, and after driving a Cooper I think the One is louder, I can't understand why though :confused: . Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
88 Posts
yup

my cooper does it aswell i thought the exaust had started blowin and it had cracked or something
When i got my cooper i had the stereo on none stop and didnt notice till the other day when i had an head ache no sex please n all.
but i love my super dooper cooper :) anyway noise and things it rocks and turns heads none stop

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread.

My Cooper has the same rumble, which I thought was quite nice even if it was a fault.
So you can imagine how happy I am to read it is normal
:D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
I noticed an exhaust noise like the one you are describing in the demo car I got from the dealers when mine had the battery problem. Thing is, mine doesn't do it! maybe it's just my cooper that's defective and all the others are working as designed ?? I think I prefer the quite and refined option though.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
My exhaust sounds quite purposeful but it does bang and pop a bit when the engine bounces off the rev limiter ;)(Don't know about the 1300 to 1400 bit though. Never driven between those revs! ;)).

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
R1 said:
My exhaust sounds quite purposeful but it does bang and pop a bit when the engine bounces off the rev limiter ;)(Don't know about the 1300 to 1400 bit though. Never driven between those revs! ;)).
Seriously though, I checked mine this morning on the way to work. No noise noticed between 1300 - 1400 RPM.

·
Registered
123 Posts
StephenR said:
My Mini One makes the growl, I like it. I'd like to know if its supposed to make that noise though.
I think it is meant to make that noise. It does it at about 1200 and then at 2200 revs, it does sound quite purposeful.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My Cooper (December build) doesn't make the noise. I think a new exhaust system was introduced at some point - but I'm not sure if this is related to your problem.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Heat shielding

I wouldn't imagine it's the same thing, as it should worsen as RPM and road speeds increase, but EVO reported a design fault on early exhaust systems which made the heat shielding rub, creating a noise - they described it as a buzzing rather than a growl tho...
I'll check my Cooper out from low rpm tonight on my way home from work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ours was paid for on the opening day so was the first batch.

Are the other owners who experienced the problem pre or post december build?

·
Registered
350 Posts
The demo car i drove with the noise was probably around august (maybe before) my october build cooper is OK.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts