MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal to have the much talked about popping or burble noise on a regular Cooper? I have noticed this recently on my 04 MY Cooper when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd gear and letting off the throttle. It is a kind of metallic burble or pop? Is this normal?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like it comes from the front???

It is a hard sound to locate but it seems to come from the front?? It only happens on deceleration in 2nd gear and it seems to disappear or become less pronounced as the car warms up??? Should the pop /burbling be heard distinctly from the back of the car or up front (as in my case). It kind of has a faint sound of marbles in a tupperware container or like when a coffer maker finishes brewing coffee??

·
hey lightbulb head....
1,305 Posts
cooper standard exhaust dosent normally pop in my experience, if you say its coming from the front, i would check the gasket and seal between the cat and the manifold. and the cat and the pipe itself, if there is a leak this will make a popping sound!!

if they are ok, i wouldnt worry about it, ive just put a scorpion/playmini twin 's' system on my cooper just for the nice popping and burbleing sound, this system is the best sounding system to my experience!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I've got a PlayMini system on my Cooper; it's raspy at 3-4000 RPM's and pops like crazy when engine braking around 3000 RPM's in 1st gear. Sounds great. It's probably due to the removal of the front muffler.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
A very good way to check for any exhaust leak is to remove the chrome exhaust trims ,then with a cold engine start it up,get a humble assistant to seal the ends of the tailpipes by pushing the palm of your hand (or hands on CS) hard against the end to block the gas off, then listen from underneath ,ideally using say 3ft of garden hose ,one end in your lug hole the other around all joints etc. No leak will escape that test! Use proper stands /ramps if your going underneath. Also check using this hose all around the manifold to head seal. Best Regards Roland Gt Tuning

1 - 7 of 7 Posts