MINI Cooper Forum banner

Extended warranty for R56 JCW.

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  The Rogue 
#1 ·
Hey guy's,
The warranty for my beloved 2013 R56 JCW expires on the 19th May 2017.
I've been sent a letter from Mini asking if I'd like to extend the warranty for 12 months?
Now, the fully comprehensive insurance with NO excess on claims is.........£750.

Now, I know that's quite a lot of money but I do have the money saved, so my question is, should I purchase the extended warranty?
You guy's put the 'fear of god' into me always saying how Sh*te the R56 is, so I'm wondering if, for this reason, I go with the warranty?
My Mini has 17500 miles on it and I will/do change the Oil every 12 months/5,000 miles.
What do you think????

#4 ·
IMHO £750 is a lot for 12 months. Entirely your decision, me, I would keep saving and doing my own servicing/oil. Should anything go wrong, you have the cash saved up, if nothing goes wrong, you have a nest egg for your next MINI. That kind of insurance is a gamble, a gamble you lose everything (£750) except peace of mind after a year. If your engine blew up then you would be £££s up on the deal (as long as MINI cannot find a get out clause - i.e. no proof of service, etc.

#6 ·
Okay guy's, I have an update.
I went to my Mini dealer and spoke to the service manager who I get on very well with.
As this is my second Mini from them and I spent loads on my old R50 with them, the service manager
who has 'looked after' me very well previously told me, in my case, he wouldn't advise buying the cover!

He told me that with such low mileage (17500) and him knowing how I treat my cars and regularly service them, it probably
wasn't worth taking out the extra warranty cover.

#7 ·
Kudos to your service manager. It's good to see them giving you an honest opinion rather than push for a sale. With regular servicing as you do then the car should treat you well. A lot of the failings (on any car) is usually down to lack of maintenance and with regular oil changes the car should be good for another good few years

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.