MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi has anyone out there taken out an extended warranty - i.e. their beloved car is now more than 3 years old....
What was the cost?
Why did you take one out? - e.g. was it because of your mileage or that you felt something will go wrong or simply that you are keeping the car for a minimum of 5 years (or life?) to make the most of the TLC package.

· MINI2 Irritant
949 Posts
never

i'd be amazed if MINI would offer an extended warranty considering how many faults the cars develop. I would have thought there wont be too many people out there stupid enough to go buy 'an out of warranty mini' coz it will probably cost them £100s in reapairs and niggly trips back to the dealer!!

· Registered
700 Posts
I was offered an aftermarket (i.e., not MINI) extended warranty, drivetrain only to 100,000 miles for about $2,000 U.S. I purchased one on may last car about 4 years ago, cost was about the same. It may also help to haggle the price a little, most dealers mark the prices up on these things.

It would seem not such a bad deal, I recon, especially for the MCS with the supercharger and lots of bits that spin very quickly. $2,000 can go in a flash at the hourly rates dealers charge nowadays.

My MCS is due at the dealership on Oct. 18, I'm leaning toward the extended warranty.

Anyone else?

· Registered
227 Posts
Extended warranties are a big money maker for auto dealers. The markup is about 100%, so if the dealer pays $1000 for the coverage, he sells it to you for $2000. If dealers are not pushing this at the time of sale, its because they can't find anyone to offer it.

Extended warranties are also a big source of fraud. If you purchase it when you buy, lets say, a new Mini, you really won't be filing any claims for 3 or 4 years. By then the company may have gone bankrupt or moved to the Cayman Islands with all the money. Only buy from a well-established company, like GE Capital or equivalent. If they won't sell you one, chances are the little guys won't survive the claims to pay you either.

· Registered
126 Posts
BMW offer extended warranties on all their other models for about £400-£500 p.a.

It covers anything, right down to the battery and can be renewed repeatedly (up to 100,000 miles). You can't renew it once it's lapsed however.

I'd be surprised if they didn't offer the same service for the MINI, it's the same dealer network / parts / labour etc.

· Registered
700 Posts
Anyone else have input on any MINI extended warranty. I'm near my pickup date, still haven't decided on throwing an additional pile of cash at the 100,000 mile extended warranty.

I've purchased them on two other cars, the warranty paid for itself in repairs.

Tough choice. . .

· Registered
165 Posts
There is an extended warrenty in the UK

It is currently £390 for an extra year. You can buy it up to 90 days prior to your car's third birthday. I am toying with it as "MINI me" will be 3 at the end of March, however he may be being replaced with a convertible if a suitable slot can be found. I am considering buying the warrenty because I have CVT gearbox and do not relish the rebuild costs should it fail. As we will also travel to the south of France next summer I like the idea of the European breakdown cover which is included so that's probably worth at least £100.

I have been told the warrenty is both as good as the manufactures by aftersales and
not as good by used cars, as investigative work is chargable so it adds nothing to the trade in value.

Be warned however prices go up from Jan 1st and I was told they are likley to rise steeply, probably due to all of the warrenty claims, I know I've had a few. :silver:

· Registered
437 Posts
My MINI me and me said:
It is currently £390 for an extra year. You can buy it up to 90 days prior to your car's third birthday. I am toying with it as "MINI me" will be 3 at the end of March, however he may be being replaced with a convertible if a suitable slot can be found. I am considering buying the warrenty because I have CVT gearbox and do not relish the rebuild costs should it fail. As we will also travel to the south of France next summer I like the idea of the European breakdown cover which is included so that's probably worth at least £100.

I have been told the warrenty is both as good as the manufactures by aftersales and
not as good by used cars, as investigative work is chargable so it adds nothing to the trade in value.

Be warned however prices go up from Jan 1st and I was told they are likley to rise steeply, probably due to all of the warrenty claims, I know I've had a few. :silver:
Although I'm probably stating the obvious, extended warranty cover after 3 years is worthwhile if you haven't got all the problems sorted on your car within the manufacturers warranty period. An extended warranty will cover component failure and MOT failure issues except for normal wear and tear items like brakes etc. If you have a problem with your vehicle during its manufacturers warranty period get it sorted. Steering column issues ('51-02 plate cars), gearbox issues ('51-53 plate cars) or any other gripes about early build cars should be addressed before the manufacturers warranty expires. Squeeks and rattles will cost outside the warranty period whatever the reg is. If it aint right...sort it while BMW/MINI will pay for it!!

· Registered
165 Posts
Extended Warrenty

Just a reminder folks I bought mine today (29/12/04) for £390 as you are eligible when your car is less than 3 months away from the end of the initial warrenty. It does not come into affect until Mar 27th 2005.... but the price rises to over £500 on Jan 1st 2005...ouch. You also get pan european breakdown cover, so II felt it was just the wrong side of being reasonable at the moment.

My MINI me and me said:

· Registered
22 Posts
From Dealer

I have the extended warrenty from the dealer as my car is constantly breaking (oct 2001). Gear box has been changed once and the second one is starting to do waht the first one did but they wouldnt do anything untill it total stoped so i bought the warrenty, expensive though. If its going to be £500 next time theres no chance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.