MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I got a red battery light on with a message saying there is a battery fault and that the battery is not being charged, take to a mini dealership immediately. This was followed by engine temp is getting hot and i should slow down or something along those line. I had my car towed back to my house as it was on a saturday night and everything was closed.

I dont know if running the car on idle for a long time with aircon on in the summer heat could have been the issue but thats what i was doing. After 5 minutes of driving afterwards i got that message.

Could this be an alternator issue or the belt? Its a 2014 model and did 72000 km

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
put a volt meter on battery when engine running should have 14v to 14.7v when running and battery is fully charged so charge battery over night , if under 14volts then there is a issue with alternator ,,, as the car has 72k and 6 years old battery might also me on way out or damaged,, as for why car over heats chances are the voltage drops so low that the piloted thermostat housing might be affected, or if alternator over charged could have melted the pilot thermostat internally as they are very weak know issue with them,, or could just be two different faults

1 - 2 of 2 Posts