MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MINI Cooper Countryman F60 has an automatic tailgate.
The only problem is that on 4 occasions it has opened all by itself! :eeksurprise:

I have spoken to 2 dealerships about this and they both suggested that it is an issue with poor key design, and that the button is getting depressed whilst in the owners pocket. One suggested buying a screening pouch for the key! Really? Then comfort access would not work at all. A great solution!
It appears to be very common and applies to other BMW models as well!

I said that BMW should therefore amend the software so that the button either needs to be depressed for longer or maybe use a 'double knock' i.e. pressed twice within a set timeframe.
They just shrugged their shoulders.

I complained to BMW head office that this was a security risk. Several times I have opened my front door to see the car standing on the forecourt with the boot fully open.
They just said - see your dealer. Their stock answer to any question.

The only workaround that I have found at the moment is to set the tailgate operation in the car so that it doesn't work unless the car has been unlocked first, which just creates a different security issue.

Anyone else having this problem?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Not much help i know but i did read about this problem before i purchased our countryman Phev and i decided not to have it as an option.
I'm sure this has been discussed on this forum before so a little search should give you more info.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Oddly this happened to me today, i’m sure that in my dotage I never touched to remote but went out to the car find the tailgate open in the pouring rain I suppose it could have been sometihing else else in my trouser pocket, but all that was in there was a handkerchief and I don’t see how that would operate the button in the remote! I thought Maybe it’s just another sign of getting older .......... the memory is starting to fail me and i’m only 61 and 3/4s.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha! I don't think that it's our memories! The first time it happened I assumed that I must have done something. When I locked the car and started to walk away and the tailgate opened behind me then I knew that I wasn't going mad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only problem is that on 4 occasions it has opened all by itself! :eeksurprise:

I have spoken to 2 dealerships about this and they both suggested that it is an issue with poor key design, and that the button is getting depressed whilst in the owners pocket. One suggested buying a screening pouch for the key! Really? Then comfort access would not work at all. A great solution!

I said that BMW should therefore amend the software so that the button either needs to be depressed for longer or maybe use a 'double knock' i.e. pressed twice within a set timeframe.

I complained to BMW head office that this was a security risk. Several times I have opened my front door to see the car standing on the forecourt with the boot fully open.

The only workaround that I have found at the moment is to set the tailgate operation in the car so that it doesn't work unless the car has been unlocked first, which just creates a different security issue.

Hey bro, yes I have the same problem. So i went to Mini cooper dealer, they said i dont have any complains yet.. so may be you push the buttons when you store the key in your pocket... so then i put my key in my tshirt pocket and my dog walked across my car and yes the tail gate opened by it self !! I think is the sensor of the tail gate and not the key by it self

·
Registered
1 Posts
I experienced this issue with my previous F60. It is a real problem. At first Mini were dismissive, saying it must be 'user error'. However I saw the boot opening when keys were hung on a hook (no chance of accidentally pressing). They got a new control unit manufactured in Germany for me, had it in the workshop at least 4 times and finally the boot popped open all by itself when with Mini, witnessed by the technicians. I was leasing the car, and ended up returning it and getting 75% of my lease fees back after 9 months. Now got a new JCW countryman with a nice and simple manual tailgate! In a couple of Mini Facebook groups I am in I know dozens of other owners have experienced similar problems too. Insist on a replacement if you bought new and its not too old!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Mini Countryman 2020 with JC Works and the tailgate opened by itself while stationary in the garage and today was the fourth time that happened. The first three times, I thought that probably the car key had been accidentally pressed, but this time it was completely stationary and the car key was no where near the car. When I closed the garage door, it jammed the door because it opened by itself, scratching my car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A traumatizing incident happened to me this weekend. I was on a 6 lane parkway and the tailgate opened in the middle of traffic. Thank God that I was crawling (because NY traffic) but my trunk was full of groceries. Could you imagine the possible devastation if this happened while driving the speed limit? I had to get out of the car in the center lane and close it from the outside. This is unacceptable and I've had this car 6 months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I experienced this issue with my previous F60. It is a real problem. At first Mini were dismissive, saying it must be 'user error'. However I saw the boot opening when keys were hung on a hook (no chance of accidentally pressing). They got a new control unit manufactured in Germany for me, had it in the workshop at least 4 times and finally the boot popped open all by itself when with Mini, witnessed by the technicians. I was leasing the car, and ended up returning it and getting 75% of my lease fees back after 9 months. Now got a new JCW countryman with a nice and simple manual tailgate! In a couple of Mini Facebook groups I am in I know dozens of other owners have experienced similar problems too. Insist on a replacement if you bought new and its not too old!
Yes, same here. There are days it just opens, not sure why. Also it will sometimes close while we are removing groceries or tailgating. I was considering adding a rear hitch, as I had done on other Mini’s, but I am not sure if it may randomly open.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, same here. There are days it just opens, not sure why. Also it will sometimes close while we are removing groceries or tailgating. I was considering adding a rear hitch, as I had done on other Mini’s, but I am not sure if it may randomly open.
Yes I had my hatch open at a traffic light so its a safety issue and can block the view to other drivers but this opening is the 5th time i have to say and usually happens when my car is parked and its a problem when I have expensive tools in the back. Its good to hear I am not the only one. If there is a solution to prevent it like a recall or dealer adjustment I'm all for it or having a key fob that requires two clicks on key fob or a safety lock you can manually lock your hatch from inside car from opening. Also I'm reading it may not be just the key fob but a release from the cars internal system opening the rear hatch on its own. In either case we need more owners to speak up and voice this issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts