MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I order the chrome line interior with my MCS or
just wait and get chrome aftermarket add-ons?

Are the chrome line interior parts just plastic with
chrome veneer or actual chromed metal?

...will also have anthracite dash; any opinion on how
the chrome would look?

cheers!

·
MINI2 lurker
613 Posts
The chrome line interior is chromed plastic. It does however look just like the chromed stainless steel / aluminium bezels that you can pick up aftermarket.

You can retrofit the kit at a later date. Be aware though that you can only buy the tach cover with a new tach which is more expensive on its own than the full factory option. I dont know a member of mini2 yet that has gone this route (all have ordered the tach cover as an aftermarket metal bezel). If you have sat nav / chrono pack, this is also the case with the speedo on the wheel.

I retrofitted the kit to my 02 mcs. I wasnt interested in the chrome handbrake tips, and dont have the rear ashtray as this is on newer models. The biggest expense was the tach cover at a 1/4 of the price of the kit (aftermarket), and it all cost around the same as the factory option.

As to the anthracite interior, there is a thread in this forum which people have posted their pictures, so you will be able to get an idea. Its called something along the lines of "new OEM chrome line interior" and was started by paul mullett.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Mini_Blake explained most of it.

I have the chrome interior on my '05 (with some bad pictures in my gallery, if you care), and I'd say get it. It was $200, which is less then it'd cost either to get the plastic pieces from your dealer, or to get the real metal pieces from an aftermarket place.

Unless you hate the idea of chrome plastic, get the OEM one. And if you hate interior plastic, there's a lot of it in a MINI, so I'd hope you're aware of that :)

·
No Steenkin Preevileeg
664 Posts
I second what Stryder said. Most people's comments on EFR are regarding the interior's chrome line and color coded trim, and it blows them away! Get it, you won't regret it: it looks sharp. Jimbo

·
Lovin it
99 Posts
Joe,

Welcome to MINI2. I have the chrome line interior on my order. I test an 05 S with the option and it looks fantastic. I would definitely go factory.

Bob

·
Registered
949 Posts
After seeing both the metal rings and the chromed plastic bits in the flesh, I'd say go with the chromed aftermarket metal rings instead. I think they look better - gives a different look and are quite nice. The aftermarket rings accent the piece rather than highlight the whole thing.

Personal preference me thinks :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Anthracite Headliner Is To Return

At the dealor today and just happened to hear alittle birdy say thet Anthracite Headliner option will indeed return by popular demand, however it will be an optional $200 add-on.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
All the aftermarket pieces I've seen are chromed plastic. And lower quality than OEM since they must be made very thin to slip over the stock plastic.

The same pieces from MOSS, for example, will run you over $400. $200 for OEM.

Go with stock...and spec it with your order if possible to save the semi-troublesome install.

·
Hangin at the Krusty Krab
844 Posts
OEM is best because it fits the best, and is cheap, so if you scratch it it's cheap to replace....you can get it all from mikeythemini now (including an aftermarket tacho ring) - recommended.

It's also really easy to fit (although the speedo is a bit tricky) - see Paul Mullett's how-to guide.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts