MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A "trusted source" has told MINI2 both these are in the pipeline, and we should hopefully have more information in the not too distant future (but that could mean anything really).

Just thought I'd share here before I have enough to go with a "proper" news article.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
hopefully this will bring the price of the JCW down and take out the dealers sticking loads of cost on the fitting bit;)

·
JCW time
18,905 Posts
Does that means that the JCW will be a model in its own right or just a factory fit option for the MCS...

Interesting all the same though :D

·
///M Power
5,066 Posts
Very interesting… Would it be safe to say that it might be worth hold off on that JCW kit then… just to see if the total package price is much cheaper :confused: :confused:

I presume there is the possibility it will also come with the option of a factory Aero kit?? :confused:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Rakey said:
hopefully this will bring the price of the JCW down and take out the dealers sticking loads of cost on the fitting bit;)
I second that. If the price cut is generous i would opt for a 05 JCW with LSD.

·
Now With More Cowbell
1,687 Posts
Rakey said:
Oh I reckon the margins will still be there. :p

Still, anything's better than the $8,500 (CDN, fitted) ripoff currently being sold by dealers here.

-CW

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
means I have to wait now to see if the cost a new car would be worth a trade in on mine, or if I can get a better price for a kit on mine;)

·
total MINI . com
34,893 Posts
If it's planned properly the price should be drammatically cut, currently a MCS is built, then taken apart, bits thrown away, new bits added and it's put together again ............ ok, a basic overview but it does show some scope for efficiency and material cost improvements maybe :rolleyes:

How will insurance handle this? Some compnaies regard factory fit options as part of the standard car ... so could it be insured as a standard MCS with factory fit options ?

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
Good to see that MINI have taken this onboard really quickly :)

It took Mercedes years before they started accepting AMG as one of their own :rolleyes:

·
Grumpometer: OFF SCALE
6,836 Posts
Remember folks that the cost of a product is often based on market and demand, they've already proved that people will pay an extra £3800 for a works kit so don't expect them to pass on all the savings to the punter. How much more does it really cost to produce a cooper vs a one for instance?

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
I am guessing it will just make the standard 210bhp kit more accessable to everyone? Just like when the MINI cooper was launched as a factory car;)

It will be another step up the ladder, but at a more resonable price, and I think JCG will just get on with the engineering part, taking the cash for the license of the names Cooper and JCW, and of course finding ways to push the car up to even more bhp's like 240, 260 etc...

With it being a factory car, insurance will be more accessable, a bit cheaper as there will more competition out there between companies and what with it being a factory car rather than after market:D

I also imagine its all part of BMW's future plans for the MINI range, the new engines etc.. bring it more in house, build a structured range. Its all very exciting

·
Now With More Cowbell
1,687 Posts
SoggyCornFlakes said:
If it's planned properly the price should be drammatically cut, currently a MCS is built, then taken apart, bits thrown away, new bits added and it's put together again ............ ok, a basic overview but it does show some scope for efficiency and material cost improvements maybe :rolleyes:
Hear, hear.

Let's not forget the rather large and heavy pallet that needs to be packed up and shipped to each dealer (as opposed to bulk shipping parts to the plant). And don't forget the "fudge factor" of cost that needs to be built into the equation to cover the potentially hundreds of mechanics installing JCW kits in various locations with varying degrees of competence.

Actually, I think the business plan BMW and JCG used was brilliant. Get people to pay to be beta-testers for the package and sort out any potential long-term issues, then when the market at the high price point gets saturated and demand tapers off proceed to slash costs and prices by offering power to the masses as a factory fit option. Many early build cars are now coming off warranty too, so the market for early adopters is vanishing.

-CW

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Paul Mullett said:
A "trusted source" has told MINI2 both these are in the pipeline,
"In the pipeline as in is going to happen" or "in the pipeline as in may happen"?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Humourl3ss
Hear, hear.

Let's not forget the rather large and heavy pallet that needs to be packed up and shipped to each dealer (as opposed to bulk shipping parts to the plant). And don't forget the "fudge factor" of cost that needs to be built into the equation to cover the potentially hundreds of mechanics installing JCW kits in various locations with varying degrees of competence.

Actually, I think the business plan BMW and JCG used was brilliant. Get people to pay to be beta-testers for the package and sort out any potential long-term issues, then when the market at the high price point gets saturated and demand tapers off proceed to slash costs and prices by offering power to the masses as a factory fit option. Many early build cars are now coming off warranty too, so the market for early adopters is vanishing.
Spot-On. Good assessment.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Diesel Cooper? Diesel Cooper?! Diesel Cooper?!! Tell me more, tell me more, tell me more! Aaarrrrrrrrggggghhhhh! *head explodes* ;) :D

No, seriously, the 2005 1.9 150bhp Astra Coupe I've been promising myself as my next car could well go on hold if they bring us a DECENT quick diesel. I'll be No.1 in the waiting list! :D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts