MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how the insurance grouping of the factory R56 JCW compares with a R56 Cooper s Works with dealer works upgrade

Insurers dont seem to understanmd the works upgrade and view it as a mod and price accordingly!:aargh:

Perrhaps the factory JCW will be chaper to insure as specific model?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Insurers don't seem to understand the works upgrade and view it as a mod and price accordingly!:aargh:
It is a mod.... So you'll need to find a mod friendly insurer.

The increased power and retail price will likely make them fairly similar to insure, but I think the new works model will be slightly more. You may find there's more choice of insurers for a 'standard' model car though.

We won't know until the new car is released and even then it will hard to compare unless someone trades from a works kitted S to the factory model as insurance varies on location/age/ncb etc.

I can remember trying to insure my R56 S in late December of 06 just after the launch in September, it was surprising how many companies didn't have the new car on their records!

·
MCS AB Owner! =D
325 Posts
It is a mod.... So you'll need to find a mod friendly insurer.
WRONG! It's certainly not a mod. It's coming out the factory as a standard model in their range. Only if you get the stage 1 engine upgrade for an S will it become a JCW clone.

The link above proves that. Obviously, not all insurers have the details and dont quiote understand the new model yet.

·
Registered
851 Posts
WRONG! It's certainly not a mod. It's coming out the factory as a standard model in their range. Only if you get the stage 1 engine upgrade for an S will it become a JCW clone.

The link above proves that. Obviously, not all insurers have the details and dont quiote understand the new model yet.
You have misread this thread.

The original post was discussing the works tuning kit versus the works factory model. The tuning kit is a dealer installed part and is therefore a modification to the 'Cooper S' model for insurance purposes.

Installing the tuning kit doesn't make the car a clone of anything. It makes it a Cooper S with tuning kit. I own one and I've had two insurance policies to cover it and this is how it's insured.

By saying a Cooper S with a tuning kit will become a JCW clone I hope your not suggesting people insure them as the new JCW model. If you take this approach the worse case scenario is that you will have void insurance should you come to claim.

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
An S modified with a JCW upgrade pac is surely a modified S? You declare the modificationsto your inurer, they decide how much extra to fleece you for, irrespective of the truelevel of increase in their risk IMO.

Whereas the John Cooper Works is *not* a modified car; it's like that standard from the factory. And has an agreed insurance group of 17. It should be insured as a standard John Cooper Works Hatch (well, standard unless you have any mods or extras, of course).

·
MCS AB Owner! =D
325 Posts
You have misread this thread.

The original post was discussing the works tuning kit versus the works factory model. The tuning kit is a dealer installed part and is therefore a modification to the 'Cooper S' model for insurance purposes.

Installing the tuning kit doesn't make the car a clone of anything. It makes it a Cooper S with tuning kit. I own one and I've had two insurance policies to cover it and this is how it's insured.

By saying a Cooper S with a tuning kit will become a JCW clone I hope your not suggesting people insure them as the new JCW model. If you take this approach the worse case scenario is that you will have void insurance should you come to claim.
Sorry, I did misread the original post.

As far as I know, you are right. Although, getting the S and insuring it with the "JCW Stage 1" may cost as much, and maybe more. However, the spec's are similar and it might be worth explaining to the insurance company the stats are similar and that the JCW Stage 1 upgrade mod is officially approved by MINI. I guess insurance companies hate aftermarket upgrades.

Please ignore any of my previous posts. I am not trying to encourage anyone to insure their car under the wrong info. :D

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
my insurers consider a factory fitted jcw kit is NOT a mod (it's not a jcw car) if it was fitted from new, just depends who you insure

·
Boosted
480 Posts
my insurers consider a factory fitted jcw kit is NOT a mod (it's not a jcw car) if it was fitted from new, just depends who you insure
That started once you could order an R53 with the 210 JCW kit from the factory (You got the JCW brakes and a few other bits as well I believe). Not sure how it all works though.

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
my jcw is the 200bhp version dealer installed from new, insurers consider this and the ac schnitzer bits fitted at the same time as oem options. If the had been fitted after original they might look at it different.

Anyways the point is different insurers have different approaches so it's worth shopping around (Flux said they were mods). I'm currently with the policyshop.com

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got a quote from Privilege for factory JCW with several factory fitted options and dealer fitted carbon fibre bonnet scoop, tailgate handle and rear diffuser. Also viper stripes.

They said as they are all MINI fitted parts, they are factory optional extras and would not affect the policy.

when I get my car a end July, annual premium of £280. I'm 28yrs with 9yrs no claims

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I must be getting robbed by Privilege!!!!!!!!!

Im paying arounf £550 +£600 xs on a 2008 Cooper s works worth £25k Full NCB and 37 yrs old

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
actually £411 for premium
£76 for no cliam discount protection
£25 for motor legal prptection
£510 in total

and BTW live in low crime area!!!

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
Then I'm getting robbed by Flux's. I paid overy £500 for a 6-year old standard Cooper S, having held a full licence for nearly 20 years and over ten years of NCB!

·
Registered
30 Posts
turbo sx

whats the excess on this quote?
Its £350 on top of the standard excess I think. I did the quote online and hen phoned them up to confirm everything.

I didn't choose the ncb protection or legal expenses. It would have been £340 with though. I did choose guaranteed hire car though.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks

Any idea what standard xs is at privilege?

Also anybody else like to share what they pay for R56 cooper s Works insuance and also what their excess is

thanks

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
How do you insure a Factory Works though, or any Works for that matter?!

That seems like a daft question BUT...

...on the insurers systems they have say :

"John Cooper Works" (but no "John Cooper Works CHILI")
"Cooper S CHILI" (but no "Cooper S Works CHILI")

My car for example is insured as "Cooper S CHILI" but if I were to change it, or add the works kit, I either have to insure one or the other, or do you add the Works bit as a modification? :puzzled: Does that make sense?! :p

Just intrigued how people get round it :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts