MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few interesting finds............maybe..........for some:p

I have on order ( delivered tomorrow ) the turbo inlet pipe from the factory works to fit my stage 1 JCW. I'm not sure for definate whether it will fit at the turbo, but the risk is worth it.

However i also enquired about the price of the downpipe / cat from the factory works. It states in all the MINI blurb that this area has been ' derestricted' and so i thought they had done ala GTT stealth cat or miltek. Imagine my surprise that the part no. is exactly the same as the std. MCS. The only difference is the back box and tips ( without JCW logo )

·
Registered
851 Posts
However i also enquired about the price of the downpipe / cat from the factory works. It states in all the MINI blurb that this area has been ' derestricted' and so i thought they had done ala GTT stealth cat or miltek. Imagine my surprise that the part no. is exactly the same as the std. MCS. The only difference is the back box and tips ( without JCW logo )
I've avoided much of the factory JCW blurb but it seems that the MCS responds well to a high flow cat. If they could have fitted a less restrictive cat then I don't think they would have needed the other engine mods eg increased engine strengthening etc.

The air filter being different to the works tuning kit is also interesting. Plus the fact one of the Minis designers said in an interview (I think on motoringfile.com some time ago) that he would start with the intercooler for performance mods.

You can't help but think there is more potential in the prince engine. I wonder if the project was constrained or there's a limit with regard to reliability or drive ability. Or maybe the best is yet to come?

At least our exhaust tips have the logo on them. :D

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any updates on the inlet pipe yet Japper?
Apologies for late response:D

Not had much time to test fully yet in all conditions.

The pipe fits perfectly as standard. So it seems the changes to the turbo are internal only.

The pipe dosen't measure any bigger internally, it just is bigger for longer. It is the same dia. from airbox up until the breather hose joint. It's hard plastic, but dosen't seem to be much stronger when squeezing the pipe compared to stock.

However, on the little road time i've had with it, it seems to have more torque and quicker spool up. It also seems to be smoother across the rev range too. I need to test more as it could have been conditions or plecebo effect, but so far for less than £60 i am happy.

Will post back once i've had more chance to play in the upper rev range:D

·
Loving his JCW!!!
274 Posts

I have on order ( delivered tomorrow ) the turbo inlet pipe from the factory works to fit my stage 1 JCW. I'm not sure for definate whether it will fit at the turbo, but the risk is worth it.

Although its frustrating as a jCW buyer that mini have not explored every avenue to get more power, I suppose the upside is that there is more potential for power gains from aftermarket modification, although i probably wouldnt want to go there until the warranty has expired.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Update:

My dealer must have got it wrong. I took his word and posted the above. I have now checked the part no. he adivised for the factory works against the one listed on RealOEM for a std. MCS and indeed they are different part no's.

Whether the flange mounts are the same is another question, oh and the price £648 inc discount + fitting:aargh:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picture of JCW pipe fitted:smile:

Attachments

·
Boosted
480 Posts
Mines on and I'm really pleased with way the car picks up now. Got no idea why it would make a difference but it does!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Mines on and I'm really pleased with way the car picks up now. Got no idea why it would make a difference but it does!
Installed one on mine about a week ago, also have no idea why it improves engine performance...but it does! Could it be that the original rubber pipe partially colapses under hard acceleration? :puzzled:

P.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Alta sell a similar tube, they reckon on a gain of about 15 BHP at the wheels with their tube!?

And has anyone noticed that the Works pipe is lighter than the original one!

·
Registered
651 Posts
FItted one on mine and doesn't feel to make any difference.... :(
Acceleration and top end no difference as far as I can feel. There are certainly no gains of 15bhp like the Alta!!
My observations are they are both collapsible and squashy when they are warm and internal diameters are both smooth and virtually identical size.

In my opinion I wouldn't waste your money on this. I really wanted some good power gains or torque gains, but I didn't really get anything like what other member have been reporting, only my 5c though....

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FItted one on mine and doesn't feel to make any difference.... :(
Acceleration and top end no difference as far as I can feel. There are certainly no gains of 15bhp like the Alta!!
My observations are they are both collapsible and squashy when they are warm and internal diameters are both smooth and virtually identical size.

In my opinion I wouldn't waste your money on this. I really wanted some good power gains or torque gains, but I didn't really get anything like what other member have been reporting, only my 5c though....
If you were looking for the 'Claims' of 15hp as per ALTA then i'm afraid you were too optimistic. I wouldn't / never did say it gave much / any more power, just better throttle response, smoother through rev range and a more consistant spool up. Just better to drive rather than huge power gains.

·
Boosted
480 Posts
I noticed that before I fitted the JCW tube my turbo would easily stall once I lifted and during gear changes. The chattering sound I got completely disappeared once I installed the JCW tube thus the response of my car when accelerating through the gears was much improved. Though there are no gains in HP the real world gains for me were well worth the money. But this maybe the case because of the free flowing setup I have on my intake.

·
Registered
651 Posts
If you were looking for the 'Claims' of 15hp as per ALTA then i'm afraid you were too optimistic. I wouldn't / never did say it gave much / any more power, just better throttle response, smoother through rev range and a more consistant spool up. Just better to drive rather than huge power gains.
I wasn't specifically looking for power gains as such, but thought that if Alta offer a similar, albeit larger, pipe than there might be something extra there with the JCW pipe or some noticeable difference?
Obvisouly MINI have changed it for a reason, whether it is worth the money I'm not sure, I have changed to back and forth a few times now since my last post and now I have it will probably keep it on.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wasn't specifically looking for power gains as such, but thought that if Alta offer a similar, albeit larger, pipe than there might be something extra there with the JCW pipe or some noticeable difference?
Obvisouly MINI have changed it for a reason, whether it is worth the money I'm not sure, I have changed to back and forth a few times now since my last post and now I have it will probably keep it on.
I see you don't have the JCW intake. Maybe your restriction now lies with that. I have the JCW tuning kit with the ITG foam filter fitted.

Maybe you should look at this area:smile:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reactions: mike ken

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've just had the JCW Stage 1 fitted to my R56 S - many thanks Matt at Wollaston - and had intended to ask them to fit the plastic pipe at the same time - didn't have time to call so I'm going to have a go myself. One question - I can see how the main pipe connects but there is a secondary pipe that goes into the top of the cylinder head.......is this something to worry about or does it just fit in....

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
I've just had the JCW Stage 1 fitted to my R56 S - many thanks Matt at Wollaston - and had intended to ask them to fit the plastic pipe at the same time - didn't have time to call so I'm going to have a go myself. One question - I can see how the main pipe connects but there is a secondary pipe that goes into the top of the cylinder head.......is this something to worry about or does it just fit in....
The secondary pipe just pushes into the cylinder head, its exaclty the same as the exsiting one on your car. takes no more than 10 min to do the whole job..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts