MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Canned
Joined
·
13,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tech Man at MINI USA just provided me with the factory wheel weights as "measured by our test department and recorded on the engineer drawings".

The 17" S-spokes weigh 25.1lb (11.4kg) each, the 16" 5-stars are 20.0lb (9.1kg) and the 16" V-spokes (or should I say X-lites) are 17.6lb (8.0kg).

For all the other wheel weights (and offsets) see the updated FAQ on factory wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
431 Posts
The 17" S-spokes at 25.1lb (11.4kg) each, sounds quite heavy to me. I really want to put these on my Cooper S, but is the slight benefit in handling and looks going to outweigh (no pun intended) the extra 7.5lb (3.4kg) of the X-Lites? :confused: :confused: :confused:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
937 Posts
Cooper_S said:
The 17" S-spokes at 25.1lb (11.4kg) each, sounds quite heavy to me. I really want to put these on my Cooper S, but is the slight benefit in handling and looks going to outweigh (no pun intended) the extra 7.5lb (3.4kg) of the X-Lites? :confused: :confused: :confused:
7.5 pounds is only for a MINI unicycle! My "S" will have to have four wheels, so we're looking at 30 pounds. If my old lady added 30 pounds, I'd dump her...so I think I'll go with the X-Lites.
 

·
Moderator & Sponsor
Joined
·
3,758 Posts
Now that we have the facts in front of us, can we assume the X-Lite wheels were so named due to their lower weight? :D

(Actually I am serious :) )
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
937 Posts
BruceK said:
Now that we have the facts in front of us, can we assume the X-Lite wheels were so named due to their lower weight? :D

(Actually I am serious :) )
I absolutely believe you're spot on mate (actually..I am seriuos too). That fact has also helped me to decide to go with the X-Lites. The smaller 16" tires have to weigh considerably less as well.
 

·
Canned
Joined
·
13,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The UK Accessory Brochure calls them 17" S-spokes and 16" X-lites, while the US (LA Auto Show) Brochure calls them 17" S-lites and 16" V-spokes. Looks like the Brit names are more appropriate. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
Don't forget the tyres......

Your forgetting the weight of the tyres.

You might well find the 16" tyres weigh more than the 17" ones do........195/55 16 against 205/45 17.

The S-spokes are half an inch wider as well as an inch bigger in diameter than the R84 X-lite 16"s, plus a lot heavier (read tougher) design. They are going to weigh more.

Personaly I'll go for extra roadholding over any slight increase in un-sprung weight, and infintisimal loss of straight line performance, especially at $1100AU over the 16"'s. Bargain for 17" wheels and Tyres.





:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
Boy that thread died quick...... Anyway, for those of you that didn't see The Celebrity MINI race at the Australian Formula 1 GP last weekend. All the LHD Works Coopers were using the 17" S-spoke wheels.

Interesting choice of rim for racing cars don't you think ?

If they're good enough for race tracks, they should be tough enough for badly pot holed Australian roads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Re: Don't forget the tyres......

Basil said:
Your forgetting the weight of the tyres.

You might well find the 16" tyres weigh more than the 17" ones do........195/55 16 against 205/45 17.
Personaly I'll go for extra roadholding over any slight increase in un-sprung weight, and infintisimal loss of straight line performance, especially at $1100AU over the 16"'s. Bargain for 17" wheels and Tyres.
Respectfully my 2¢:
This slight unspring weight is a HUGE thing to consider. On a small car as this that does not have tons of power and torque like a V8 does, 7+ lbs. a corner is very noticeable! It's not just sraight line power you loose, but how nimble the car feels and how wheel it brakes. To illustrate: take a 1lb. wieght and spin it on a rope thats over a foot long. Try to start and stop this action. Now try it with an 8lb weight at the end. It's not just unsprung weight, but also the centrifugal forces being shuffled around.
As far as tires go, it's unlikely that a bigger size, wider tire will weigh less than a smaller one as you can see in this Toyo web page: http://www.toyo.com/tires/ And the extra 10mm in tire contact patch will probably not make much difference in handling. Also you can fit wider diameter 16" tires on the OEM 16's. I'm not rying to tell you that you should not get the 17's, but for performance they 're not the best choice. It's not coincedence that race teams spend thousands on magniseum wheels for their cars. For looks, that's totaly different! Everyone has their right to choose what ever they like. index_frame.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
For a better illustration don't use the total 7+ lb weight difference, use the percentage increase in weight. My question is with the 17" wheels what room is in the wheel well if the car is lowered 30mm?:confused:Are the R90's 17" at 24+ lbs ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
Re: Re: Don't forget the tyres......

neonart said:

Respectfully my 2¢:
This slight unspring weight is a HUGE thing to consider. On a small car as this that does not have tons of power and torque like a V8 does, 7+ lbs. a corner is very noticeable! It's not just sraight line power you loose, but how nimble the car feels and how wheel it brakes. To illustrate: take a 1lb. wieght and spin it on a rope thats over a foot long. Try to start and stop this action. Now try it with an 8lb weight at the end. It's not just unsprung weight, but also the centrifugal forces being shuffled around.
As far as tires go, it's unlikely that a bigger size, wider tire will weigh less than a smaller one as you can see in this Toyo web page: http://www.toyo.com/tires/ And the extra 10mm in tire contact patch will probably not make much difference in handling. Also you can fit wider diameter 16" tires on the OEM 16's. I'm not rying to tell you that you should not get the 17's, but for performance they 're not the best choice. It's not coincedence that race teams spend thousands on magniseum wheels for their cars. For looks, that's totaly different! Everyone has their right to choose what ever they like. index_frame.html
ha ha. Firstly congratulations on your first, extremely polite post. I agree with you almost completely. Certainly tyre width will have minimal effect with the handling, will probably slow you down a bit though, but will improve roadholding. My choice for the 17" S-spoke is really all about the looks. I simply don't like the other Factory available wheels. The Cooper i drove, had the 16" 5-star wheels and SS+. Whether I would be able to tell the difference between these and the S-spokes or even the 15" rims I couldn't tell you. But I would suspect at normal road speeds the difference in straight line performance would be almost unnoticeable.

Anyway, welcome to the MINI2 obsession neonart.

:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
mad hatter said:
For a better illustration don't use the total 7+ lb weight difference, use the percentage increase in weight. My question is with the 17" wheels what room is in the wheel well if the car is lowered 30mm?:confused:Are the R90's 17" at 24+ lbs ?
I can answer that the R90's are indeed 17" Rims.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Thank you Basil;) If I remember correctly the BRG ONE pictured at Frankfurt was lowered so that should be a nice fit if I can come up with the extra bucks for a set on an "S".:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Don't forget the tyres......

Basil said:

Anyway, welcome to the MINI2 obsession neonart.

:D
Thank you!
It was not my intent to start any flame wars. It was for info to those who really obsess in performance. I've worked in the performance sector of the Miata world for 5 years now and other imports before that. On Miata's I've tried from your average 17's that weigh 22 lbs to sub 10lb Volks and Magnesium Watanabe's and the question does come up. Is there a noticeable difference? -For Picky freaks who like wheels with function before looks, yes, it makes a noticeable difference. But this is not everyone's thing.

Part of what makes any cult car fun, as I'm sure this will (be,is), is the many tastes folks give them. If everyone agreed with everyone it would all be very boring.
P.S. Those S's do look agressive with the 17's!
:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
mad hatter said:
For a better illustration don't use the total 7+ lb weight difference, use the percentage increase in weight.
Yes, to make if fair, the difference of those wheels is about 40-50% increase. Did you like the soap on a rope illustration?
;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Hi folks,
New to the site with a long wait for my mini.
One thing to consider when discussing wheel/tire weights is that this is rotating mass. A general rule of thumb is that the addition of rotating mass is roughly equivalent to twice that weight added to the car. So the roughly 7 lbs /wheel difference between the 17s and 16s would be like adding 56 lbs to the car. This would be even more when considering the increased weight of the 17 tires.
Being relatively disapointed at how much weight the minis seem to be gaining as they come stateside, I think i'll go with the 16s. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
785 Posts
They raced on them for cosmetics being a "Celebrity" race, those 17's are about the worst possible choice for racing, including durability.
I actually can't stand the X-lites/V Spokes, but guess what, I'm getting them.
For Solo II/autocrossing, I will probably being running on some 16" 10-11lb Kodiak 3-piece wheels. That is one of the wisest expensive investment, lightweight wheels.
Yes, unsprung weight IS a huge deal, coming from yet another Miata racer.

Have FUN!
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top