MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Don MINIo
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few days, my auto climate control fan is not functioning, in any mode. I cracked open the Bentley manual last night and saw that there are two fuses that could be the culprit, both in the engine bay (a 30 and 50A). Both appear fine...

I'm still able to get heat, thankfully, but without a fan for distribution, especially for defrost, I'm not a happy camper.

As some might know, I recently installed a couple of gauges below the toggles. I am thinking now that a connector might not be secure. Being that everything else seems to work, but the fan, I don't feel this is the issue though...

Are there any other fuses that I might not be aware of, besides those two mentioned? A relay maybe? When working on the guages, I dropped a wrench on the battery terminals, and sparks went a flying. Made me jump pretty good acutally. I just think (hope) that it's a fuse...

Oh, I searched here and over on NAM, to no avail. I found some cool stuff, but no one else with this problem. Any input would be very much appreciated! TIA.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Sometimes, a mere visual inspection of the fuse won't tell if it's knackered. Get a circuit tester (the screwdriver-look kind is best) and test it, or simply replace the fuses.

Maybe that will do it? Hopefully, you didn't short circuit the thing with your wrench . . .

Let us know, good luck!

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Agree with vagt6 on the testing.
Another thing too is that there is usually a failover for blower fans. High will work regardless since it just shunts all 12v straight to the blower. So I'm doubting it's the switch itself. You have tried High right ?? ;)

The wrench would have had an immediate impact and I doubt it would show up days/weeks later. An exception would be if insulation was burned through somehow and now you have a short.

As in all things troubleshootish. Start with the most recent changes and work back. i.e. you gauges
Good luck Tony, wish I was more help.

·
Don MINIo
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vagt6, you make a good point! And since it is easy enough to do, let me see if any of the MINI provided spares will do the trick. I do believe that all of the spares are of the same flat twin-blade variety (like the 30A). The 50A one is something I've never seen before...

obe, I appreciate the confirmation of the above (vagt6) and support! Yes, I've tried all fan speeds, in various modes, and with the engine on, and while driving...

I'll report back later. Thanks guys!

·
Don MINIo
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the 30A fuse is not the issue. And while I don't even know how to remove the strange looking 50A fuse, I somehow don't think it is bad either; by appearance and by design. According the Bentley manual, these high current fuses supply power to the various components through regular fuses (like the 30A). Actually, given that path, maybe it is possible to blow the 50, and not the 30... Man, I'm running late to work :p

If I can find or post a photo of the 50A fuse, I'll share later. I don't think there are any relevant fuses inside the car... Gotta go. Thanks again.

·
[hot rod harlot]
138 Posts
Hi Tony! I don't know if this'll help, but I had an AC issue not too long ago. I had unplugged the ECU for a pulley install. When I was finished with the project & hooked everything back up, the fan worked but the AC compressor would not engage (side note: got a SES light right after, but it was gone in a day). I tried unhooking the battery / ECU several times & had no AC luck. I fixed it by physically removing & replacing every single fuse in the car. There was an odd whirr/click when I replaced one of them (forget which). After that event the AC was back & has been ever since (a few months). Apparently some circuits retain power for awhile even though the battery's offline. I suspect that I had unhooked the ECU too soon after the battery & confused the little sucker. Then I did it again, wondering what I'd done! Pulling the fuse seemed to reset something. Might be worth a try to pull some fuses...
Best - Bodinski

·
Don MINIo
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bodinski, I'm not sure where our paths have crossed before, but I remember you from somewhere...

I wish I would have gotten an SES light so I could then pinpoint the issue. What you recommend is easy enough. I was planning of pulling a few fuses to inspect anyways as the Bentley manual seems to be not so accurate. For example where it states that I'll find a 30A fuse, I find a 20, so I'm not sure what corresponds to what... I'll just pull and inspect them all... probably on Sat though...

I will report back either way. Thanks again!

·
Don MINIo
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
follow-up....

Well, I pulled every fuse in both panels (by strut tower in engine bay, and inside), and inspected each. I also tested those few that correspond to the blower, AC, heating, etc... everything checked-out fine. I also pulled all the relays, and reinserted those. I didn't know how to test the relays though. I also disco'd the battery again, but all of this was to no avail :( .

After reading the Benltley manual further, I noticed that there are more fuses on the flip side of the panel in the engine. One of them (BC1) is certainly a player... So, I removed my the intake box and ECU to gain access to the backside of this panel. This is 50A fuse. Two Torx screws hold it in. I took it out, and it also tested fine. Instead of resammembling everything again, I just loosly put stuff in to allow me to fire her up. I put a baby diaper over the intake hose feeding the TB, she started up, but still no fan operation, at any speeds, manual, auto, defrost, etc...

I'm thinking now that this problem might have been caused by one of 3 things:

1. A failed attempt to clear an SRS light. Check-out post #13 here, a reply to my #12...

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33972&highlight=SRS+Honda

2. A disruption when doing a dual gauge install under the toggles... I patched into the cigarette lighter, which is quite popular for radar detectors and other additons. A couple fuses do share the cigarette lighter with the fan/blower...

3. An accidental arching of the battery... While reinstalling the battery after the gauge project, I dropped a wrench on the battery terminals and sparks went a flyin'. After chatting with a couple folks, one being a MINI tuner, this is not seen as the culprit here...

After typing the above, I just went-out to check the cigarette lighter. It works... For the heck of it, I also disco'd the UNIChip, and I'm now back to stock... no fan :confused:

I continue to be open to ideas :p

·
Don MINIo
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still not resolved yet... After some help from my father tonight, I can rule-out the relays. We hooked-up a 12v power supply to them, and they worked properly...

He noticed that I didn't test continuity on the fuses on the lowest range setting, so I did so again, and all of the relevant fuses are indeed fine.

We did notice in the Bentley manual that there is resistor at the blower that should be inspected next... And while in that area, I can also test to see if I'm getting 12v to the blower. This shouldn't be too difficult to do...

I might have to wait a few days to proceed, and I will report back...

·
Don MINIo
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Coca-Cooper,

You know, I could have posted several times since, but have not... The fan/blower had not worked for well over a month. Then, just last week while pulling-up into a Home Depot parking lot, the fan came roaring on! Amazingly it came back-on when I left, and has worked since...

There is definitely some type of poor connection, and I fret then that it will happen again. I've been driving around with my gloove box out, European parcel shelf, front console (the one with the cupholders), down tubes, and toggles.... fairly gutted. I guess I can put everything back now, but since I have a dealer visit next Friday for two recall issues, 30k servicing, an SRS light, and finally for my coolant expansion tank, I'll let them take a look...

Good luck with yours!

·
Don MINIo
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seriously, I would take curb "ramp" a little fast to see what happens ;) But, I would not do this prior to your MINI dealership visit. It's best to go in there with it not working. I sort of hope mine craps-out again just before my visit so they can troubleshoot it.

I'm sure your fan/blower is just fine, like mine. It's just a faulty connection, most likely. If you don't mind, please report back what your dealership has to say. I would really appreciate it... TIA.

·
Registered
31 Posts
FIXED :)

The reason? Software problem :rolleyes:

The Customer Service guy didn't know if the ECU was reset or upgraded, but the fact that I wasn't charged :eek: implies that they did something quick and easy.

·
Don MINIo
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man, that really sucks! If they tell you to wait a week or two, remind them that without the fan, you have no defroster... and that's dangerous. If you don't mind, please keep me/us posted. I go in this Friday, but mine is still working like a champ.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.