MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I had a long drive to pick up a car part and when I got home and turned engine off, the fan kicked in. It was very loud and was on for less than 5 minutes. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, so I had a long drive to pick up a car part and when I got home and turned engine off, the fan kicked in. It was very loud and was on for less than 5 minutes. Is this normal?
I have an 05 Mini Cooper S and I have had the same issue with my car except it does it All the time. It usually kicks on right when I turn the engine off and fans turn back off if I turn the car back on. It's every time, especially bad when it's hot outside it makes it worse. Also looking for the answer(along with many other problems and issues I'm running into).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your response. Its definately strange when it kicks in. Fan is very loud. Will have to keep an eye on it I think. The car has been checked over and no big issues found (at the moment). Will just keep an eye on the temp and how long the fan stays on for as well.

·
Registered
2010 Cooper Clubman
28 Posts
If the car is hot the fan will run for 5 minutes after you turn it off to cool it down. Perfectly normal.
If the car isn't hot i.e. you run it for a minute and then turn it off and the fan runs on for a while then something is wrong.
When mine did this it was the thermostat malfunctioning. I replaced the whole housing as there is a sensor in the housing that can't be replaced on it's own. There is also a sensor that can be replaced (weird design) which I tried first but didn't fix the problem

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, so I had a long drive to pick up a car part and when I got home and turned engine off, the fan kicked in. It was very loud and was on for less than 5 minutes. Is this normal?omegle
Perfectly normal.
If the car isn't hot i.e. you run it for a minute and then turn it off and the fan runs on for a while then something is wrong.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I thought it was normal but I suppose still worry about things going wrong since the car was so cheap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a 2003 Cooper s and have had this a few times.
Yes my mechanic tells me if it's hot weather it's not unusual for the fan to run a couple of minutes after the ignition is switched off.
However in all cases with me it's been a cooling system issue.
The first was the expansion tank cap was leaking and allowing coolant loss when pressurised. A new cap fixed that.
The second time the car actually overheated in stationary traffic. The thermostat needed replacing. It was quite easy to tell as the aluminium expansion tank was extremely hot while the radiator was cool.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. The car hasn't done it since actually so maybe it was because I had just been on a very long drive in the heat. Drove about an hour away the other day and it seemed fine. Hopefully that's a good sign that it was just the heat on that day

1 - 11 of 11 Posts