MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Recently bought my wife a 2011 Cooper SD all4 countryman, we both love it! However, she has said it has done it a couple of times and this morning I witnessed it, after a short journey (maybe 1 mile) the fan runs on, the car hasn't warmed up, this morning I opened the bonnet and checked and the coolant wasn't hot. It doesn't do this everytime. Does anyone know if there's a reason for this, or do I maybe have a faulty temperature sensor?
Thanks

·
Registered
626 Posts
I don’t know what it is but i think it is normal as it used to happen with my Cooper D Convertible and my Cooper SD Roadster, I thought it was strange that it did it after a really short journey. I parked next to a Cooper D in a park and ride car park and the fan was running on that and the girl that owned it was worried and called her dad when she got on the bus. I assured her it was normal as my car did that as well.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Hi all,

Recently bought my wife a 2011 Cooper SD all4 countryman, we both love it! However, she has said it has done it a couple of times and this morning I witnessed it, after a short journey (maybe 1 mile) the fan runs on, the car hasn't warmed up, this morning I opened the bonnet and checked and the coolant wasn't hot. It doesn't do this everytime. Does anyone know if there's a reason for this, or do I maybe have a faulty temperature sensor?
Thanks
need to scan it see what codes are lurking without a eml light as some do, and also to check not running to hot all the time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have scanned with a cheap code scanner and didn't show any codes, also used a Delphi which I used to reset the battery when I fitted a new one and that only showed a code for comfort access rear Ariel, nothing else. I guess when it does it again I can use the scanner to check engine temp and see what that says, maybe it is just something it does sometimes, I wondered if it does it if I try has started a regent of the dpf, but thought it would wait for a longer run and when it had got up to temperature!

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I have scanned with a cheap code scanner and didn't show any codes, also used a Delphi which I used to reset the battery when I fitted a new one and that only showed a code for comfort access rear Ariel, nothing else. I guess when it does it again I can use the scanner to check engine temp and see what that says, maybe it is just something it does sometimes, I wondered if it does it if I try has started a regent of the dpf, but thought it would wait for a longer run and when it had got up to temperature!
maybe switching it off half way through a regen would make the ecu want to cool it down fast for sure,

·
Registered
44 Posts
FORD306,
Your car is trying to perform a "re-gen". The fans run to remove excess heat (under bonnet) whilst engine management attempts to clean the DPF. If you notice the fans running when you stop after a short journey it's a good indicator to do a quick motorway journey. When you get home the fans should not be running and this is also a good indicator the "re-gen" has completed.

You should notice an improvement in performance too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
G-A-R-Y
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing