MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mini2 Procrastinator
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for interest here for you guys who live in and around the south London/surrey region.

There is a POSSIBILITY we could get hiring of a local airfield close to me, kenley aerodrome to be precise. I think it would be great if a few of us could get our minis out there, on the main stretch of about 1/2 mile straight and the rest.

For those who don't know it was an airfield used in WW1 & 2 for American and British fighters. It is big and not in commercial use these days.

views: http://www.controltowers.co.uk/H-K/Kenley_1997.htm

location: http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=51.3247&lon=-0.103&scale=50000&icon=x

Get back to me if you are interested.

·
bouncebackability
307 Posts
Don’t want to spoil the fun guys.
Kenley airfield is close by me and know the site well. I was not aware the site was available for hire. Having a long-time interest in motor sport, I know of no local motor club or organization that have used the runway or perimeter roads.
Not sure if still owned by the Ministry of Defence or the Corporation of London as is the adjacent Riddlesdown Common and Farthing Downs.
The airfield its-self is used regularly by gliding clubs, air cadets, is open to ramblers and part being a peaceful area set aside as an RAF memorial. Generally the place has a feeling of part neglect and I know plans are afoot in Parliament for its future prospects.
I would very much doubt if a load of would be boy/girl-racers giving their Minis a good thrashing would go down well.
Permission may be granted for a stopping/meeting place within a recognised Mini run.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
tumblewood said:
Don’t want to spoil the fun guys.
Kenley airfield is close by me and know the site well. I was not aware the site was available for hire. Having a long-time interest in motor sport, I know of no local motor club or organization that have used the runway or perimeter roads.
Not sure if still owned by the Ministry of Defence or the Corporation of London as is the adjacent Riddlesdown Common and Farthing Downs.
The airfield its-self is used regularly by gliding clubs, air cadets, is open to ramblers and part being a peaceful area set aside as an RAF memorial. Generally the place has a feeling of part neglect and I know plans are afoot in Parliament for its future prospects.
I would very much doubt if a load of would be boy/girl-racers giving their Minis a good thrashing would go down well.
Permission may be granted for a stopping/meeting place within a recognised Mini run.
Wow, Totally off topic, but my Mom and her family is from Croydon - and some of the names you have mentioned bring back memories Tumbleweed :eek:

I have Relatives still living in the local area, when I was a kid we used to wander over Riddlesdown common and the like, and had Great Aunts and allsorts in Kenley.... In fact my Grandparents are buried in the church at Kenley somewhere, must find out where :eek:

Sorry, back to the topic :p

·
Mini2 Procrastinator
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will get back to you guys just as soon as i know anything. Just to remind you i haven't spoken to any official bodies so it is just an idea that sprung to mind.

I drove on there once though, early on doing my driving lessons, obviously i couldn't drive how i would have liked too but the thrill of having so much open track is so enjoyable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts