MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen the Road & Track test of the MINI? It said...

"Our slalom test revealed that the Mini can thread through the cones with moderate understeer and keep a blistering average speed of 67.6 mph, besting any current BMW, any Ferrari and most Porches!"

I checked their road test history at the back of the magazine and the only two cars that were faster through the slalom were the Porche 911 Turbo at 67.8mph and the Porche 911 GT2 at 68.7mph.

What is more, they were testing a Cooper with 15" wheels! Wait until they get hold of an S with 17" wheels and sport-plus suspension!

Keith

·
Registered
6 Posts
good god

This car is going to own! I can't wait, m'stoked. :D

It is MADE for autocross, first thing I'll do is put some Hellas on there.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I heard that times was clocked with all-season tires - not even the really sticky stuff! Having just driven one, however, I have to agree with the handling prowess of the car. :)

Jason

·
Registered
52 Posts
jlivingood said:
I heard that times was clocked with all-season tires...
Those weren't all-seasons-- Dunlop Winter Sport M+S snow tires.

Even slower!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Cooper_S said:
Autocar in the UK reccon the Cooper S will be the first hatchback to break 1g whilst cornering. :cool:
1g?
1g?

I can't wait!!!!!!
Where's my stinkin' MINI?!!!
:D :D :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Is there a production vehicle available, that will compete? Is there a car available that can push the 1g mark?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Can a Civic Type R push 1g? :D

Hmmm. Let's think....uh,....NO! :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Z-06 'Vette pulled 1g on street tires during one of the US magazine tests.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Garfield said:
I'm pretty sure the Z-06 'Vette pulled 1g on street tires during one of the US magazine tests.
Garfield's right! Road & Track tested the Corvette Z06 on their skid pad and acheived 1.00G !!

Anyone else surprised what a even number that is? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
785 Posts
BruceK said:

Anyone else surprised what a even number that is? :rolleyes:
Well, yes and no. I mean, what a coincidence, but, let's not forget that there are plenty of cars that do .96, .97, etc. so why not .99 or 1.0.

Anyway, the Z-06 does have street tire specifically made for it to pull some lateral g's. Now all we need is MINI to put a Falken Azenis or Kumho MX on as the "Standard" tire. Hey, it's still a "Street" tire ;).

·
Registered
261 Posts
Garfield said:

Well, yes and no. I mean, what a coincidence, but, let's not forget that there are plenty of cars that do .96, .97, etc. so why not .99 or 1.0.

Anyway, the Z-06 does have street tire specifically made for it to pull some lateral g's. Now all we need is MINI to put a Falken Azenis or Kumho MX on as the "Standard" tire. Hey, it's still a "Street" tire ;).
I think the BF Goodrich G-Force T/A would also be a great canidate! :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Cooper S - any luck with the Autocar article? I remember looking through an issue which I didn't end up buying. I seem to remember they tested a Mini and were disappointed by the "G" figure.

I doubt performance in the slalom test which started this thread is directly related to the ability to "pull g". A standard Cooper on snow tyres will pull a lot less g than some of the other exotic machinery mentioned.

For what its worth, EVO also do a slalom and "g" test. Their Chili Cooper pulled 0.71g beating the Punto HGT, Lupo GTi and Yaris T-Sport. The 106 GTi pulled 0.74g. In the slalom test the Mini beat the 106 GTi, but was beaten by the Punto.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Can't find the article. Must have thrown it out.

I do still have that issue of EVO, the 106GTi, Clio 172 and Ibiza Cupra R all manage 0.74g.

I dont believe the Cooper S will be able to do much better than that. Even with the wide 17" wheels. Certainly not enough for 1 lateral g. :(

·
Registered
785 Posts
In Road and Track, the Cooper pulled .79g's on 175/65R15 M+S Tires. I can guarantee it will pull in the .90's with 205 stickies.
Not to mention when you put a Falken or Kumho on it. For those that don't know, the Falken Azenis and Kumho MX are both "Street" tires that would probably last about 7000 miles, if you know what I mean. Both tires are pretty much manufactured to run in the "Street Tire" classes for the SCCA here. They're really SOFT.

Personally, if they fit, I'll be running 225 R Compounds (street legal race tires) and can assure you it will pull well over 1.0g's. My stock Miata will R Compounds pulled more than 1.14 constant g's.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Having to find performance tires that are also run-flats will limit the choice - unless you don't care about a stray nail leaving you stranded!
Keith

·
Registered
785 Posts
Keith said:
Having to find performance tires that are also run-flats will limit the choice - unless you don't care about a stray nail leaving you stranded!
Keith

I won't be choosing tires based on run-flats, and will be carrying a can of "Fix-a-flat" with me. To me it will be worth having an ultra high performance tire, but my car won't be an everyday driver either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts