MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knew how and what is the most HP you can get out of a cooper?? Has anyone turbo'd their cooper??

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well a UK tuning firm do a package for 163bhp N/A, though i'm not sure if i believe that figure.. but if it was true, if someone was brave enough to go for ITBs then they could have very impressive figures!

Turbo kits exist, so i guess anyone with one of those at the moment would have the fastest.

-Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
robfenn said:
Well a UK tuning firm do a package for 163bhp N/A, though i'm not sure if i believe that figure.. but if it was true, if someone was brave enough to go for ITBs then they could have very impressive figures!

Turbo kits exist, so i guess anyone with one of those at the moment would have the fastest.

-Rob
So, you're saying a European firm is putting a kit out that generates an additional claimed 163hp on top of the additional 160? That would be = 323 total hp

That would be cool.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think he meant it bumps it up to 163 horses...not addind on a whole nother 163 :D

One of the girls on my race team (team mighty miniz) had a turbo in her cooper which is completely gutted on the inside to conserve weight...currently, they are working on it so that it can go into production and back into her car....she loves it :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
163hp! that is pretty amazing.... now if there were only turbo kits available in Canada.... :p

·
The REAL King of Bling
261 Posts
Emm 163hp is not that good for a turbo'd cooper, Maxi Tuner do 217hp i think for a cooper. M7 tuning do one, think ive heard figures up to 240bhp :D , not sure if thats true

·
Registered
109 Posts
The one i was talking about above is the m7 one :) , im sure he would ship to canada once he puts the finishing touches on it

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
Cooperchris said:
Emm 163hp is not that good for a turbo'd cooper, Maxi Tuner do 217hp i think for a cooper. M7 tuning do one, think ive heard figures up to 240bhp :D , not sure if thats true

163 was for a na kit... non turbo! :p

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sorry to confuse, by NA i meant naturally aspirated and the 163bhp kit is for a One or Cooper.

I think saying 163bhp for a turbo kit being unimpressive is a bit unfair, would you really want 300bhp in a 1.6? Imagine the lag!...and the fact its FWD makes it pointless anyway.. If there was a 163bhp Cooper turbo kit out there which gave lightening throttle response and a linear powerband i would snap it up..if there wasn't that blindingly obvious choice, the Cooper S!

-Rob

·
what happened to that boy
1,626 Posts
robfenn said:
Sorry to confuse, by NA i meant naturally aspirated and the 163bhp kit is for a One or Cooper.

I think saying 163bhp for a turbo kit being unimpressive is a bit unfair, would you really want 300bhp in a 1.6? Imagine the lag!...and the fact its FWD makes it pointless anyway.. If there was a 163bhp Cooper turbo kit out there which gave lightening throttle response and a linear powerband i would snap it up..if there wasn't that blindingly obvious choice, the Cooper S!

-Rob
if you knew how to drive a FWD car properly it wouldnt be pointless at all. There are lots of ways of ensuring maximum grip on the front wheels. As for going for the cooper s, its actually cheaper for me to turbo the cooper insurance wise :) which is the way i'm going next year. just waiting to see some feedback from others first before i make the plunge.

however i think 220bhp, rather than 300+, is a perfect figure for a 1.6. Some people have BBR's 240 bhp conversion on their S's and i've heard nothing but positive feedback.

i cant wait.

·
Armed to the teeth
182 Posts
Cooperchris said:
217/240 bhp through that old rover/pug/citroen transmission I don't think..... it'd probably last 1 or 2 weeks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts