MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
Having intermittent fault with mini cooper s 1,6 petrol. Car goes into Limp Mode, from time to time. Ep mode is displayed on odometer and engine amber light is on. Just did service of automatic gearbox, they changed oil and installed new filter.
No significant issues with car. Gears are changing with no hesitation, no jerking, no sign of power loss. Mechanics are sure gearbox is fine. They also changed solenoid wiring and speed sensor wiring as well.
Problem persists sometimes after 5 miles, other times after 150 miles. Despite Limp
Mode all gear are available. Was able to drive on dual carriageway more than 60mph with warning lights on.
Anyone had a similar issue? Any advices please? Mechanics think its a minor electrical problem....

· Registered
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
1,018 Posts
Has the engine been put into DST mode or sport mode either of the lower buttons by the stick shift? or do you use the paddle shifters very often? What type of transmission is it?
Is it the N12 or N16 engine?
Do you have run flats or use aftermarket wheels. If your car is not tip top in pays big to just use the stock 16 inch wheels with regular air tire. It gives the transmission a better purchase as the footprint is very light. not a fix by any means but something that will stop it up for the time being. Other than that..
I had a transmission code once when I had run flats(under warranty I hit the sport mode in town) and once when I had my 18inch wheels on after a 12 hour vacation but it was a hidden code not shown on the center console. Neither codes were shown they were hidden codes. Believe it or not I keep thinking vanos for some reason. But it was under warranty and I took advantage of the fact I did not really want to know what they did to correct that issue!
I was running a oil catch can at the time and engine had about 45 thousand on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.