MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have been helping a friend with a Cooper S convertible, we have found three fault codes: P1012, P1013, P1007. I have erased the codes bur the first two still show as "pending", The car seems to be running OK but maybe it could be better. Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

·
Registered
974 Posts

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
P1012, that one would be looking at the sensor on passengers side of head has a black cover on it it reads the inlet camshaft its common when when someone ha been a bit heavy handed with air box to get cracked maybe ,,
P1013 - VVT Reference Sensor Reset Error (Bank 1) same gain same sensor on inlet of cam,

P1007 - VVT Eccentric Shaft Sensor Gradient Error (Bank 1) same again same sensor
so you need to before changing the sensor check the timing chain is correct, and will need to remove rocker cover to check the vvt shaft has not worn away or a something else as failed from wear as so many do around 100k the chains are as early as 60.000 miles, need to do all the basics oil pressure timing chain compression then you know the engine is all good or some bad no point throwing cash at a engine that has bad basic readings etc,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello again, further to the fault code problem, thanks for your help, I have replaced the relevant parts but still have P1007 and P1013 showing as pending, also the temp gauge goes to full al the time, I have replaced the sender, I don't know if they are connected but the temp gauge went wrong ate the same time as the rev counter packed up.. and, on top of all that, the tyre warning and traction control lights stay on yellow all the time, the ABS is working fine however. Any light you can shed would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
would check the wiring from under bonnet main ecu to thermo housing and to inlet camshaft position sensor ie that above the thermo housing to rear of engine held on side of head with 10mm bolts and a funny looking connectors to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
would check the wiring from under bonnet main ecu to thermo housing and to inlet camshaft position sensor ie that above the thermo housing to rear of engine held on side of head with 10mm bolts and a funny looking connectors to it.
Thanks, been through all that and found nothing, the thing is, the car runs beautifully and goes like a rocket, the temp gauge stays fully up even with no ecu's plugged in. Could the instrument cluster be faulty?

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
so the wiring to the temp sensor and thermostat the temp sensor can probe the back of plug i use a paper clip if have no small probed with multi meter,, this should read around 3.2volts at around 20c temp some screen shots below from the autodata and ecu pin outs for this, also data on vvt etc
Screenshot (403).png
Screenshot (404).png
Screenshot (405).png

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
added note the earths for all thee are shared and ecu switched so a short circuit can effect other items if same wiring had got damaged somewhere

·
Registered
5 Posts
so the wiring to the temp sensor and thermostat the temp sensor can probe the back of plug i use a paper clip if have no small probed with multi meter,, this should read around 3.2volts at around 20c temp some screen shots below from the autodata and ecu pin outs for this, also data on vvt etc View attachment 276653 View attachment 276652 View attachment 276651
Thank you very much for your time and trouble, the car I am working on is actually an R52/53 do these diagrams still apply?

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Thank you very much for your time and trouble, the car I am working on is actually an R52/53 do these diagrams still apply?
thats a strange one as the codes you put in first post relate to vvt and concentric shaft ie what prince engines have.. no they dont they relate to gen 2 prince engines ,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts