MINI Cooper Forum banner

Faulty On Board Computer Readout

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  mlapicki 
#1 ·
A starnge fault has developed over the last week with my On Board Computers outside temperature readout. When I first start the car, the readout is showing approx. the right temperature. It then starts to climb immediately up to 50 Degrees Centigrade (It's maximum value I guess) in half degree increments. Sometimes it will stay there and other times it will start to drop back down in the same manner!
Anyone else had a similar prob?
I've taken it to be looked at this morning by the Dealer, and to have the dreaded left drift problem looked at. Will let you know how it's turned out.

#3 ·
Poor lead?

I had a similar problem on my old Golf GTI.

The sensor was a big coil of wire and the connections had corroded. I don't think the ones on your mini will have corroded, but if they are loose or water gets in then the resistance will change and the temp will read wrong.

Get your dealer to make sure it's plugged in correctly, they are usually mounted on the front bumper away from the engine so they read correctly.

#4 ·
If you want to check the temperature sensor yourself it is situated just behind the grille mesh beneath the number plate. You can see it if you lift the bonnet and look down in front of the radiator. It may have worked its way loose hence the heat rise next to the radiator. It can't have completely disconnected as then it reads -40.

#5 ·
After a day at my local dealer, the engineer told me that they had checked all the diagnostics, and that they could find no problem with it. They said it was reading correctly at the moment, and to let them know if the problem persisted. It did, for a couple of days. But, thankfully over the last week it's been spot-on! Lets hope it stays that way.
By the way I got them to check my cars left-pull problem at the same time. When I picked the car up at the end of the day, they had fixed a slight allignment problem with the front left wheel. But they had to admit that it did still pull, although not as bad. Quite pleased with the service i've received so far from them. But I'd rather have a cure for the left pull prob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.