MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help I have a 55 plate Mini Cooper s convertible and love it but a couple of weeks ago when driving home at night realised the drivers headlight was out. I assumed it was a bulb as had worked before so ordered a pair. When the bulbs arrived I happily fitted them to then find it was still not working so having read up thought maybe the “ballast” block had failed so switched them over but passenger light still worked and drivers didn’t so began to think it may be wiring related, couldn’t find out what readings I should bet be getting so began to fear I was in trouble. A couple of days ago I decided to have another look to see if I could see anything obvious and when I was just about given up went to put the bonnet down and the light flashed on initially oddly the full beam but then the normal main dipped beam worked put bonnet down and seemed to stay on. Today checked and again drivers side not working and now if I lift the bonnet and gently lower it the drivers side will light up at the same time as the passenger side but will mostly go out again when the catch begins to engage while the passenger light stays lit, lift it and the passenger goes out about a foot up and lower it again they both come on about six inches from closed but the drivers goes out nearly all the time, some times i5 will stay on and when this happens tapping around bodywork and light itself does not turn it off.

I am guessing there is some sort of safety interlock/switch to prevent the lights being operated when the bonnet is up to avoid shock from high voltage of xenons or the light unit has some sort of sensor to detect an angle, does anyone know if this is the case and if so where and how does it operate (can I replace or bypass it) or is it 100% wiring in which case where do I start presumably taking light unit itself off? Any help advice greatly appreciated as don’t want to waste £100-200 on a new light assembly if isn’t actually needed or won’t fix problem as have read other people have done this to fix problem but don’t understand why mine will come on at times as the bonnet is lowered as it should but switches off again before the catch engages and won’t come on again until bonnet is raised and lowered again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok that’s odd as both mine go off when the bonnet is about 6 inches up and then left passenger side always comes back on when the bonnet gets down to that sort of height and stays on whereas the right intermittently comes on at the same time but usually then goes off as the bonnet is about to engage with the catch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know the wiring colour scheme for the lights didn’t know if I would get away with putting a jumper lead across from the left supply to the right in an emergency

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you I have managed to trace the fault to the wiring loom on the drivers side where it runs by the bonnet hinge, when moving this around it triggers the light so need to trace where the cable is damaged so knowing the colour of wire I am looking for would help. I need to find out what supplies the drivers side xenon and carefully cut through the protective webbed shielding to see if I can see any damage in the cable unless it is where it comes through from inside but can’t image that, alternative is to run a new parallel cable I guess from inside direct to the light? Not sure which is easier any guidance welcome!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
k3fus
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing