1 - 20 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Play On!
1,023 Posts
The title says it all . . . Tour du Nord V - time for a Fifth Reunion!

I'm up for a Return to Radisson!

·
Labrador retreived
689 Posts
IN.

Prefer a fifth anniversary "Return to Raddison". Since I never saw it in daylight, it would be a first trip to Radisson for me. "Hudson Bay West" is also intriguing. Will "North Bay" and the "ice road" be accessible in February?

But all destinations are worthy!

·
Rabid Motorer
2,235 Posts
These routes look fantastic; I'm going to take some time and read through them all before voting. I'm definitely IN, tho. I've set aside some vacation time from this year and (provided I still have a job in February) I'm psyched about doing this trip!

·
Only Unbalanced
924 Posts
Any or All

All of these spots look superb!

But, before I start, I have to say I might not be able to make it: I missed 2007 because I sailed to Antarctica David & Josh's Excellent Adventure: Sailing to Antarctica

and I might miss this year because I am trying to hitch a ride to Svalbard to dog sled to the Noorderlicht, which ices in a fjord for the winter:

B U T... if I can't make it, I would be up for something wild and wooly. I think the ice road looks grand. I've been to Upper Peninsula, but in summer. It was drop dead gorgeous then.

Ross, AZ, a temp move, or have you gone to the Dark Side?

Oh, I sold DUCTTAPE II. I'm now on DUCTTAPE III, a 2008 Clubman S.

David

·
Registered
85 Posts
IN.

Prefer a fifth anniversary "Return to Raddison". Since I never saw it in daylight, it would be a first trip to Radisson for me. "Hudson Bay West" is also intriguing. Will "North Bay" and the "ice road" be accessible in February?

But all destinations are worthy!
Ditto. Oops, I've haven't been there yet but I'm game!

·
Drinking holiday cheer
130 Posts
Radisson would be great OR points beyond if there are any roads open past that point.

i'd be up for driving on ice too!

·
Rabid Motorer
2,235 Posts
Do we yet qualify as a large enough group to do a group-buy on snow tires? I'm thinking I should probably pull the trigger on a set of Nokians for Scrat, and Mater needs new winter boots, too. Ugh.

·
Rabid Motorer
2,235 Posts
Oh, and has anyone rented a satellite phone in years past? I found a couple places online that do rentals, about $40 for a week, provided you don't make any calls. Thought that might come in handy in an emergency. I know cell phones won't work up there..

·
Labrador retreived
689 Posts
I rented a crappy old globalstar SAT phone on the cheap for the Labrador trip. It didn't work up there. I think Blaine had one -- Iridium maybe? -- that one DID work.....

·
Rabid Motorer
2,235 Posts
Yeah, from what I've seen, Globalstar bad, Iridium good, relatively speaking, at least. If I remember correctly, Globalstar uses geostationary satellites, so their coverage is fairly fixed. Iridium's satellites are not geostationary, so one will eventually come into range.

·
Drinking holiday cheer
130 Posts
Yep,
Chuck borrowed one from a friend for the week. We just had to pay air time.

I have a feeling it was a globalstar too but may have been iridium.
we had pretty good signals outside the car.

I'm sure we can get it again for the week

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It just occurred to me that since DUCTTAPE has sold his once-flipped MINI, I may be the only one able to bring a piece of it this year back to Radisson or wherever else we go - I still have a chunk of DUCTTAPE's front bumper lying beside my garage (probably under a lot of snow right now, too).

Maybe I should bronze and mount it for a trophy, to be chauffeured each year by the MINI doing the longest Arctic Run.

If we had more than one award, could we call them 'the flippies'?

·
Drinking holiday cheer
130 Posts
Good to see you on here squid! You gonna make the trek this year?? I think we may need a 4wd safety vehicle if you still have the WRX. Hope all is well in NY. Did you go to Radisson the first time around?
Blaine

1 - 20 of 511 Posts