MINI Cooper Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
I find that I'm more likely to get a reaction when I falsh my lights - especially now I've got my spot lights fitted! A wave alone doesn't always get a reaction :( I do get a little disheartened sometimes when no-one waves back....but it's get when you get a flash and a wave back! :)

· The real JT
2,730 Posts
I'll flash both New and Classics when in my New Mini, but only Classics when in my Classic.
This is because I was getting no response from New Minis when driving the Classic. Even now most people round here (New Mini to New Mini) only seem to respond never initiate.:(
So if you see a New BEP/white or Classic Blue/silver around South Yorkshire don't be afraid to flash first.

· Registered
47 Posts
There's a red one near my office; we regularly wave to each other. There's a young lady in a yellow that I spot occasionally, she usually waves first, but I always wave back. Had a nice conversation with a guy in a blue S in a parking lot when I had parked nearby. Generally I get a response, even though MINIs are getting more common. Haven't seen a convertible on the road yet though, only at the dealership.

· Registered
692 Posts
I flash and then wave, and usually get a response.

I think, however, that this is more of a Euorpean thing than an American one, and more's the pity. America is a land of contrast, and I tend to see this in the MINI response thing. Mini drivers are either wildly enthusiastic, or sort of sang froid about it. I think this is due to there being two kinds of MINI drivers here:

First, those who love to drive and love to drive a MINI;

Second, those who where Birkenstocks in the snow just to be different.

The former group wave, flash, give out free beer and stop to talk;

The latter group are "too cool for school" and just seem to be making a statement by their choice of car ("I would be driving a hybrid, but all my co-workers at 'Save the Whales' have one....). Also, they don't realize that beer is vegetarian, too.

Anyone else notice this?

As far as Classic Minis go, I met up with a Red/White one, head on on a national route here last weekend (a dual carriage way with red lights, for you Brits). I was driving my MC40 hard through traffic at the time, and quite frankly did not notice him across the median. Then me kids said, "Dad! Look! A Classic Mini!....There he goes! Why did he flash his lights?"

I, of course, felt like a total schmuck. But you have to realize there just aren't that many classics here in the states. Maybe I should have pulled a U turn and caught up to him?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.