MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
I saw it last night. Because i had been looking to buy the mrs a smart car (2nd hand) i joined a smart site for info_On thier site today, (wont name it, they would know it was me cos they have only 10% of the membership of M2) thir was a few of them slagging off the MINI, saying it was tinny, plastic, no fun and did not get as many looks as smart cars. I put them right by mentioning the door slam noise etc etc.(but did not mention the attention the conv gets.)For those that did not see, the race was between a brabus smart roadster and a Cooper S conv, on the strength of price. 2 different cars really. I finished my chat by saying i got the MCC over the roadster because it would hold its value a lot better. ALSO, 5th gear stated that the MCC was faster as well and was 3k cheaper. I do love the 4/2 conv i have now purchased, (for the mrs obviously :) )

·
Joy!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dont get me wrong, the smart roadster is nice, but due to the fidily gearbox it is severely let down.

Saying that tho, im mad about mini, so no1 could change my opinion.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have just checked the smart site again, (after posting this afternoon) and i must say that no one has since slagged off the MINI but have slagged off the gearbox on the smarts. The G/B is pretty crap, but a fun car. (4/2 conv.)

·
Maxin' and Relaxin'
423 Posts
i borrowed a brabus roadster from the local smart dealership a couple of months back and really enjoyed it..... for the few hours i had it anyway. was definatly glad to give it back and get in the mini!!

it was cool havin the little turbo'd engine rite behind ur ears and the exhaust sounded awesome but the gearbox was dreadful!!

when i returned the car the sales girl also mentioned that they had stopped makin them and there was a £2k premium on all the unsold models. at that point we said goodbye.

·
It's here! =D
104 Posts
Point of interest, you know that Lotus they bought which they are trying to get over 200mph, they got it off one of the guys I work with.

The local garage which checked it over just before the gear box ate itself will remain anonymous to protect the surely guilty! :D

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
I like the smart roadster... but i can't fit in it so its useless!!

Honestly....a lot of men these days are six foot plus.... and cars are still made that canot accomodate us!!

·
The Red Fox
4,979 Posts
minicabrio-uk said:
I like the smart roadster... but i can't fit in it so its useless!!

Honestly....a lot of men these days are six foot plus.... and cars are still made that canot accomodate us!!
Woah woah woah there Jon! Jeremy Clarkson tested the Smart Roadster and he is 6ft 4! And he had 3 inches of head room!

And the ordinary Smarts are VERY roomy...I loved my Smart! :(

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Wrong...Jeremy is 6'2"......and very diiferent in proportion to me!

I have met him.... I know

Show me a Smart Roadster and i will show you i dont fit

·
The Red Fox
4,979 Posts
Well then those extra 3 inches of head room he had means you must be able to fit in the coolest roadster on the road then!!

Well I like both the MINI and the Smart....my first two car makes....sooo nice!

Though the gear box is pants in the Smart but who cares?! Can park it anywhere!

·
The Red Fox
4,979 Posts
There was a parent who used to pick her child up from school in a Smart and I think it was an interior designing company or summat (Not REALLY sure on this) but she had a sticker on the back saying "Smart ****". I saluted that car everytime I saw it!

The one with the party balloon body panels always made me laugh though! ;) :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Have an MCS Works 210 (my 2nd MCS) and my other half has a Smart Roadster which I drive a lot. Fanatical about tin top Mini's to the point of tedium... :)

Had put down an order for a Mini One Convertible before it was launched, but canceled it after seeing the hood (and lack of light inside) in the flesh and bought a Roadster instead..

The Roadster is a great car. Gearbox could be better, but if you work with it on manual select, it works fine. Well over 6 ft and have no problems sitting in it - plenty of space..

The electric roof is also very clever and the waste gate noise is superb when you change gear.It doesn't need much power, as its great fun to drive at the legal limit and that's what its designed for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts